What's new
What's new

Soft start for fp4nc

To lesson the demand on my electrical on initial spindle start up. I have two fp4nc's and on the older one I was able to mitigate the problem at start up by isolating the 24 volt system so the machine wouldn't shut down when starting the spindle. The newer flip head must draw more at start up so I am trying to soften the start. I realize the solution is a better power source but that isn't an option at the moment.

To lesson the demand on my electrical on initial spindle start up. I have two fp4nc's and on the older one I was able to mitigate the problem at start up by isolating the 24 volt system so the machine wouldn't shut down when starting the spindle. The newer flip head must draw more at start up so I am trying to soften the start. I realize the solution is a better power source but that isn't an option at the moment.

Is your machine in speed range 2 or 1?
Is the run from your converter longer or has smaller gage wire?
Are the transformer taps set on the +5%?
Dave

I tried on both hi and low. The transformers are set to 0. I made a substantial cord to the machine from no 8 wire. So power goes from my rotary converter to a 220- 440 transformer, then to the small Deckel 440-380 transformer. So I am unsure of the losses from going through transformers...

There are several transformers inside the machine control cabinet, check the voltages there.

Most transformers have +/-5% taps, usually you can get things dialed in just using the transformers in the machine, but if you can't, then you can use the taps on your external transformers to get things correct. Might require some experimentation - be careful and don't get shocked.

Back