What's new
What's new

Storing Heads?

dazz

Stainless
Hi
At present the slotter and high speed heads for my Deckel clone are stored on the floor. Not a good place.

The previous owner made a trolley that can hold both tables. It allows the tables to be mounted and dismounted without me lifting either. I find that mounting/dismounting is not an easy one-person thing to do.

The trolley is sturdy enough to carry the weight of all three heads. Ideally I'd like to modify the trolley so I can store and change the heads without me lifting.

There doesn't appear to be a lifting point on any of the heads.

Has anyone solved the problem of storing and lifting the heads?

IMG_9373a.jpg

IMG_9021a.jpg

7f4576b4bcc34f7592552cb92f274cdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c13aa04caf96ca7db7738bd6b526c2aa.jpg

A jib crane off the wall might help on the lifting side.

Don't know if this was fabricated or original. Beyond the 4 heads mounted, there was a couple lying around at this auction, so the stand could probably take 6. This Deckel version actually had a crane mounted to the machine.

Attachments

• 12339822.jpg
    12339822.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 214
Those heads are for a Deckel FP3 (the original version) later renamed "FP33" and indeed the machine was fitted with an arm for lifting...

https://www.usetec.com/machines/archive/1127/1127-0707203-20150905084645741605.jpg

Too bad the owner was not as concerned about rust as with storing the heads. Shameful!

All the larger machines (FP2 and on) have rather heavy accessories/heads.....Not single party changeable for most.
Best long term solution is some sort of lifting device (crane) to assist with this chore....

Cheers Ross

I'm not a Deckel owner but I've often wondered if for many smallish mills some kind of rudimentary crane could be secured to a base that sits under the machine. Since the machine far outweighs the accessories it should be stable (as long as used in a sensible manner).

What I envision is a post mounted to the base behind the machine where the crane could be swiveled out of the way when not needed.

Bad idea?

Hi
I have rummaged around the Internet and found some good ideas.

The ideas I found that would be best suited to solve my problem are:

• Making standard sized floor stackable frames that are customized to hold each head.
  • Make a rack on top of the existing trolley to hold the frames side by side. There is enough width to fit 3 frames.
  • Add another bracket above the table supports on my existing trolley to store the large and heavy rotary table that currently sits on the floor.
  • Build a small crane onto the existing trolley to lift and position the heads. It would only need a lifting range of a few centimeters so I would use a bottle jack to push the crane up rather than a chain hoist. The boom would only need to be about 40cm long to reach the frames and the machine. I am thinking that a piece of industrial hanging door track would make a suitable boom.
  • Adding a cabinet to the lower trolley for tool storage.
  • I would look at some sort of seismic restraint for the trolley when not being used.

Found some suitable track:Sliding Door Overhead Tracks in NZ and hangers locally available: Overhead Wheeled Hangers in NZ

Now I just need to find the time to get it done.

Dazz

Head storage.

Hi
At present the slotter and high speed heads for my Deckel clone are stored on the floor. Not a good place.

The previous owner made a trolley that can hold both tables. It allows the tables to be mounted and dismounted without me lifting either. I find that mounting/dismounting is not an easy one-person thing to do.

The trolley is sturdy enough to carry the weight of all three heads. Ideally I'd like to modify the trolley so I can store and change the heads without me lifting.

There doesn't appear to be a lifting point on any of the heads.

Has anyone solved the problem of storing and lifting the heads?

View attachment 263223

View attachment 263224

I store mine on a rack mounted to the wall. I fabricated a simple wall mounted jib crane to move them between the rack and the machine. I use a motorcycle strap around the neck of the head to secure them to the crane hook. For my FP1, the heads aren't a big deal, but it's still nice to have the weight controlled and supported. The crane makes one person table changes really easy. I have a trolley for the table and Spiral attachment when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 121
I'm not a Deckel owner but I've often wondered if for many smallish mills some kind of rudimentary crane could be secured to a base that sits under the machine. Since the machine far outweighs the accessories it should be stable (as long as used in a sensible manner).

What I envision is a post mounted to the base behind the machine where the crane could be swiveled out of the way when not needed.

Bad idea?

Hope not. Bought one.

P/U truck bed goods, as can be dropped-over any well-anchored tube.
Heaviest component is only 11 lbs Avoir and it takes-down fast and easily:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672540_200672540

Still pondering how best to utilize it for the heavy K&T slotter and angle milling heads.

So far, those two, been lucky as to a serious I beam being in a useful relationship. Beam trolly & ratchet chain hoist, then "die cart" for the rest. Heads have been parked on furniture dolleys, modified.

Much as I'd like to go vertical, it is worrisome with that much mass to insure ease of getting at them and still prevent too-easy toppling over.

I don't have but those two for serious-heavy. May just go for another die-cart, H-F grade, and dedicate the die-carts as part of storage.

Dedicating hand-trucks is another trick I use. Can't fab stuff nearly as fast, nor cheaply when all it takes is to attach "whatever" as adaptor to any already built and wheeled hand-truck bought on-sale.

The late John Stevenson had a crane attached to the rear of his, ahem, Bridgeport (forgive me). Not exactly applicable to Deckel-ish machines but good lateral thinking and produced using John's "weld it where it touches" construction strategy.

IMG_0186.JPG

On my Maho I have a 250kg electric winch above the machine that makes head and table removal manageable.

Charles

Hi
Some more photos of my mill trolley.
Apologies they are sideways.

Dazz

Attachments

• IMG_9383.jpg
    IMG_9383.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_9384.jpg
    IMG_9384.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9385.jpg
    IMG_9385.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9386.jpg
    IMG_9386.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 102
AlfaGTA said:
Too bad the owner was not as concerned about rust as with storing the heads. Shameful!

From memory, they were at a toolmaker's shop, place had been out of action for a couple of years...and his heirs were going to make a few million from an industrial to residential rezone, so fairly disinterested.

Most pleasing to the eye storage I think I've seen was in a toolroom - 5~6' tall wooden cabinet, green felt lined, with a draw for each head and table.

Back