What's new
What's new

Strange noise from FP2 after running in reverse!

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

I'm writing this on behalf of the new owner of my "Old" FP2.

He got it on Friday afternoon and like any new owner was keen to get it running.

When he powered it up it ran in reverse and the feeds wouldn't hold in. I told him to swap a phase over but I'm led to believe he ran it again before swapping the electrics over.

Now he's saying quote "its making a strange knocking noise which is only in "High Speed".

I've never had this issue ... can anyone offer comments please that I can relay until he's joined the forum

Many thanks

John :typing:

I ran my FP2 in reverse like an idiot the first time I hooked it up. I ran the Y-axis (ram) into the physical end stop, as of course when you run in reverse the feed doesn't kick out. The feed thankfully cut out with the demise of the shear pin in the feed box.
If the guy is saying "high speed" as in the high speed feeds, could it be that the remains of the shear pin are catching on the feed shaft as it winds around?

I ran my FP2 in reverse like an idiot the first time I hooked it up. I ran the Y-axis (ram) into the physical end stop, as of course when you run in reverse the feed doesn't kick out. The feed thankfully cut out with the demise of the shear pin in the feed box.
If the guy is saying "high speed" as in the high speed feeds, could it be that the remains of the shear pin are catching on the feed shaft as it winds around?

As far as I'm aware the knocking is connected to the "High speed" drive rather than feeds??

John :typing:

Hello, yes I’m the fool who ran his mill backwards!

Turns out it was quite easy to fix. There was a strange knocking noise when the spindle speed was in the high speed range. To fix it, I moved the lever a little from neutral so that high speed was just engaged (lever in like 1am position). I then turned the motor on (315rpm), the knocking noise had gone, and I slowly moved the lever to the high speed detent, luckily the noise didn’t come back!

Maybe the stationary gear was a little axially loose on the shaft and had shifted over and was clashing with something. Sliding the selector gear under load must have dragged it’s meshing partner back into place.

But its odd, I believe the gears are straight cut so running the mill backwards shouldn’t result in an axial force, so no idea why the gear got out of place.

So a massive relief that this is fixed.

But annoyingly there is a similar problem with the rapid feed. When I have the X-axis feed engaged, all is well. When it is dis-engaged, regardless of the other two axes, there is a strange knocking noise from the front of the support, but only when the rapid is engaged. I’ll post a video and more detail later. Noise not quite as alarming as the spindle noise was so I’m using it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, yes I’m the fool who ran his mill backwards!

Turns out it was quite easy to fix.

Welcome to the club. I fed mine backwards and sheared the drive pin :/.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back