What's new
What's new

Strategies for restoring operators panel on fpnc Deckels

legoboy

Hot Rolled
As the title says how did you go about restoring the operators panel on your Deckel NC. This is a 3m control so if any one has any leads to replacements that would be the easiest solution. So other than that route can one purchase stickers or stencils? any ideas welcome.

No sure what you mean by "restoring"?

You can do a minor rebuild with replacement switch tops which should be available, though you might have to do some searching.
If the switches have gone bad, then you are looking at some time intensive surgery thats not terribly difficult and you will likely have to change to a different make/newer model of switch. I don't think there were very many 3M machines made, would suggest checking with the Deckel Doctor/Don Sentner for more info and parts.

If the console is damaged, I'd suggest trying to find someone parting out a machine.
You can refurbish the panel markings via laser or silk screen, but its a lot of work and can get expensive.
Building a new console with quality and function commensurate with the original will be a major project, might be cheaper and easier to move onto a new Heidenhain control retrofit at that point.

The 3M panels get wiped out faster than the Dialog panels, they must be made differently. Deckel Doctor once told me that he has a customer who was going to make replacement 3M panels, I don't know if that ever took place. I have photos of a pretty good/almost new one that I can share if you don't have one to look at.

Sorry I should have been more specific, Mud's post is what I was talking about. I have working control just have no markings left to reference the dials from. I have a second machine to use as a guide so it is a matter of creating decals for the Deckel:D or some type of stencil. I imagine finding one in premo shape would be rather difficult to do. I guess I assumed someone was down this road before.

Sign shop can print graphics on a film like Mylar and cut it out as an overlay that you could just apply over the original panel.....
Could cut out windows for the push buttons and all...Might need to do the art work yourself and supply the file type that the shop uses...(may need to invest in some software)

Or...if you have 2 machines...use one as an engraver and cut the markings directly into the original panel...Bit of a pain as you would need to remove all the switches from the original.
An overlay seems the easiest.

Cheers Ross

I think no matter the solution I should probably start by my making a cad sketch. I make a lot of these thin film deposition masks at my day job and they are basically a stencil of very fine electrical traces. The way we make them is to glue down thin shim stock (.01-.015") to an aluminum plate. We use a type of wax as glue then using small endmills (1/64) we cut out the patterns. We then heat up the plate and remove the masks. So I think if I make an accurate stencil of the graphics surrounding each dial I could use an airbrush to paint in the markings. I would probably have to clearcoat the entire thing after I was done stenciling. I am thinking if I took my time masking I could probably do it without having to disassemble. Does this sound doable?

I think airbrushed marks would rub off like the OE marks. But if you have the stencils you could periodically redo them.
I'd like to have vinyl stickers I could just peel and stick around the knobs - I don't care about original appearance.

Everyone should upload hi res pictures of the panels they need fixed with enought dimensions to ensure the picture can be converted to a reproducable file with correct proportions. As stated above laser engravers would be a good option. There are also vinyl cutters that can print to the vinyl as well as cutting it out as a stencil..... It's best to take the picture form a good distance away with zoom to eliminate distortion. LegoBoy; I live in Great Falls, Mt. If you can get me a pic, I can probably get you either a laser etched aluminum plate or printed vinyl decal. Where do you live and which FP machine do you have? Mines an FP5NC with Dialog3.

Erik

I think airbrushed marks would rub off like the OE marks. But if you have the stencils you could periodically redo them.
I'd like to have vinyl stickers I could just peel and stick around the knobs - I don't care about original appearance.

That is why I was thinking a clear coat over after.

Laser-engrave on anodized aluminum or any of the laminates like Rowmark (Rowmark- Engravable Plastic for Rotary & Laser Engraving, Sublimation). This can be done with any of the low-power CO2 gantry engravers used for wood and such that many sign-shops have. All that's needed is scale picture, cad, corel-file etc of the panel, and the laser-engraver will reproduce it (and cut all the openings if not metal base material). This would not cost much for a sign shop to do.

I was looking for solutions which didn't involve taking the entire panel apart but if i end up going that route then this sounds like a nice solution.

Everyone should upload hi res pictures of the panels they need fixed with enought dimensions to ensure the picture can be converted to a reproducable file with correct proportions. As stated above laser engravers would be a good option. There are also vinyl cutters that can print to the vinyl as well as cutting it out as a stencil..... It's best to take the picture form a good distance away with zoom to eliminate distortion. LegoBoy; I live in Great Falls, Mt. If you can get me a pic, I can probably get you either a laser etched aluminum plate or printed vinyl decal. Where do you live and which FP machine do you have? Mines an FP5NC with Dialog3.

Erik

The machine is a Siemens 3m. And I thank you for your offer, I do have a contact in the vinyl decal business so I will first see what it will cost to do here in town. The vinyl sounds like the best overall solution.

Attachments

• deckel-fp-2-nc-tool-room-milling-machine-universal-2.jpg
    deckel-fp-2-nc-tool-room-milling-machine-universal-2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 79
I had some stickers made for a Metba
I went to a copy shop with the original panel with everything removed
They scanned it and touched it up
Then they glued it to the panel
€75 for the first one
Later on I bought 3 more for €25 or so
It all depends how much time it takes to touch up the scan

Peter

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I have a cousin who is a graphic artist and he figures the vinyl will be easy. He has done lots of such work. So this the way I will go. When I get around to doing this which at this point depends on if the machine I am working on is repairable I will make copies and make them available to anyone else who as a 3m machine.
Cheers

Back