Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This certainly could be the explanation, but I doubt that the orientation in this case matters a great deal. The seals are on a pair of inner gear box covers on the gear selection shafts. These shafts then pass through a large cast Aluminium cover and then the gear selection handles are outside that. Altogether there is only a limited possibility of exposure to dirt and coolant. Certainly my mill (old when I bought it!) was quite clean under the Aluminium cover although the rest of it was pretty dirty with chips everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Double lip seal designs help with dirt exclusion and oil retention....Often they can be substituted for single lip installations.

With lip seals i always try to spec a full molded "rubber" body over the formed steel case with a bonded lip....
    Molded bodies are more compliant , and seal better in the housing, won't have the lip material separate from the body in severe service...

Avoid glue or sealers on the bodies of seals....oil the body and install Do not hammer directly on the seal face...use a driver (tube) the size of the seal OD and press into place if possible...

Cheers Ross

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ross -

Your point about correct installation is a very good one, and one that is very frequently ignored, with bad results. I have seen people install seals by tapping around their periphery with any handy punch. This distorts the seal body. Another common problem is installing seals onto a shaft with sharp steps or splines without any protection. It is easy to shave a little of the seal lip which reduces or destroys the ability of the seal to function correctly. A lubricated shield over any such features is good, and if not possible electrical insulation tape lubricated with a some oil can be helpful in avoiding damage.