What's new
What's new

Thiel 58

Mudd

Plastic
..actually its evil twin brother the GDR-built Ruhla 58.

Just joined the site after lurking for months as I've found a Ruhla 58 as a 'first mill'. Going to inspect it in a couple days.

Does anyone have an operations manual for a Ruhla 58, Thiel 58 or Sentinel 58 - I suppose they should all be pretty much the same ?

Anyone have tips on inspecting this type of mill ? All my (limited) experience is with BP-type mills. I've read everything I can find on this type of mill on this site and elsewhere - and there isn't much.

-Mark

..actually its evil twin brother the GDR-built Ruhla 58.
Does anyone have an operations manual for a Ruhla 58, Thiel 58 or Sentinel 58 - I suppose they should all be pretty much the same ?

Anyone have tips on inspecting this type of mill ? All my (limited) experience is with BP-type mills. I've read everything I can find on this type of mill on this site and elsewhere - and there isn't much.
-Mark

A Thiel 58 would be a very old mill, certainly pre WW2. The Ruhla 58 would be post war, but I think there were multiple versions built in E Germany, starting with one that was similar to the pre-war Thiel 58. Later versions of Ruhla got much more sophisticated and were apparently built without compromise and regardless of cost. Although they were superficially the same general layout as the W German versions their internal designs appear to have diverged very considerably. They were sold at a loss to Western customers, presumably not many (none?) in USA.

The Thiel 158 and 159 were some of the best toolroom manual mills ever made, and a Ruhla 58 might be as good. I have a Thiel 159 and consider it to be a superb mill even though mine is old and was very well used before I bought it.

I don't know of any Ruhla 58 manuals, and there would be interest from others if you found one.

I can't help with specific Ruhla inspection tips, but if I extrapolate from Thiels I would look at the following:

Ensure all the ratios in both spindle and feed gearboxes engage properly and run without excessive noise. I understand that later Ruhlas had pre-selector gearboxes. It would be worth checking that this changes gear properly.

Check that the rapids engage and disengage properly The Thiel 159 has an electric clutch for this and replacements are very expensive. I'm not sure how the Ruhlas manage rapids, but possibly similar. The clutches might be a weak point if the table is really overloaded and vertical rapids used a lot (or if locks are not disengaged).

Look for wear on the bottom of the Z ways. This is particularly the case if the mill table was regularly overloaded (very heavy die plates etc) and the ways were not properly cleaned and lubricated.

Check for noise and any roughness in the bevel drive for the vertical head.

There should be tapered gibs on all ways (lots of them), Check that these are adjusted reasonably correctly before you check for movement and backlash. The ways on my mill are still very good even after a hard life. It will probably have high precision leadscrews and nuts, so check that these are not worn out. I doubt that you would ever find any replacements without a lot of surgery.

There should be bellows covering the delicate bits. If these are worn out or missing, check for wear/dirt in that area. You will probably need to make your own replacements unless you have a lot of money to spend on getting them made (really a lot).

You may never find another Ruhla mill,and similarly you will probably never be able to find any accessories, so make sure that you get all you can in the deal. For example an over arm support is important if you are going to get the best use out of the horizontal spindle. Additional tables etc would be a very big plus. This is not like a Deckel where you could probably get whatever you need if you can afford it.

As far as comparisons to Bridgeport, I think you will find that you will need a bit of personal adjustment before you will become used to a very different type of mill. The ability to use both spindles freely is a big difference, as is the flexibility of a tilting table ( assuming your example has one). Rigidity should be much greater than a BP type mill and you will notice this in the ability to take heavier cuts without chatter or difficulty. My mill is capable of climb cuts in most conditions and this makes a big difference.

In summary, if the mill looks good on demonstration and is not too expensive you could get a bargain.

Thanks billmac (Bill ?).

I have a nice clear shot of the machine tag which says: "Maschinen-Kurzzeichen und Baugro<Beta>e TYP-58" and "Baujahr 1957", which leads me to believe it's a 1957 build Ruhla 58 and nothing else. It also looks 'the same' as what the lathes.uk site describes as an early Ruhla 58.

Speaking of the lathes.uk site, it claims to have two manuals for the Ruhla 58, but both/either in German only :-( and at a fairly stiff price. My last resort.

This Ruhla is fairly well tooled with 10 or so collets for the vertical, a couple for the horizontal and 2 or 3 arbors for the horizontal, plus all the drawbars. And a tilting table and a separate smaller tilting and pivoting table. Unfortunately the overarm arbor support is MIA, but I'm hoping I can fab a replacement out of a 3rd party arbor support - perhaps naively, it looks like the arbor-support simply bolts to the same arm used for the vertical head.

The tapers caused me some angst, but the vertical appears to be a 358e taper, with collets available for fairly cheap. The horizontal is still an unknown, but may be the 31mm taper used on a Thiel 58 - in which case actuals are unobtainium, but it looks feasible to re-machine 386e collets.

Gosh, it would sure help to speak German :-)

-Mark

Thanks billmac (Bill ?).

Speaking of the lathes.uk site, it claims to have two manuals for the Ruhla 58, but both/either in German only :-( and at a fairly stiff price. My last resort.

This Ruhla is fairly well tooled with 10 or so collets for the vertical, a couple for the horizontal and 2 or 3 arbors for the horizontal, plus all the drawbars. And a tilting table and a separate smaller tilting and pivoting table. Unfortunately the overarm arbor support is MIA, but I'm hoping I can fab a replacement out of a 3rd party arbor support - perhaps naively, it looks like the arbor-support simply bolts to the same arm used for the vertical head.

The tapers caused me some angst, but the vertical appears to be a 358e taper, with collets available for fairly cheap. The horizontal is still an unknown, but may be the 31mm taper used on a Thiel 58 - in which case actuals are unobtainium, but it looks feasible to re-machine 386e collets.

Gosh, it would sure help to speak German :-)

-Mark

I assumed that you would want English manuals. The technical German would probably be fairly hard going. I have a full parts manual for my Thiel. It is in English, but with the original German part descriptions as well. It is quite useful to go back to the German occasionally, because the translation loses a bit of meaning.

It sounds like the mill you are looking at is an early example. That means that everything will be mechanical, with no complicated electrics. You can probably disregard my comment about electric clutches for rapids etc.

The tapers would worry me a bit, but you seem to have that covered. Looking at the photos of later machines, they appear to have 40 taper spindles, like later Thiels. That is much more useful of course. I think your example will have bronze conical bearings for the spindles, rather than rolling bearings. That may limit spindle speed a bit, but I wouldn't be concerned about them otherwise if they have been well looked after.

The drawings in Lathes.co.uk seem to indicate that you cannot have tooling in the vertical and horizontal spindles at the same time, if the vertical head is actually vertical. (Hope that makes sense). If so that would be a pity. Later versions of Thiel (but not later Ruhlas?) do allow this.

The over arm support is a bit of a loss. I suspect that it is intended to fit over the dovetail on which the vertical head slides in and out. You can see the arrangement in one of the photos on the lathes.uk site, and this arrangement is the same as later Thiels. If so, you could make a new one from a large chunk of Durabar or similar. With a bit of care, you could use the mill itself to make the bore in the support, thus getting it exactly in line. If my guess is correct and you want a photo (or a spare parts manual drawing) of a later Thiel over arm support for basic design layout, let me know.

<snip>
The over arm support is a bit of a loss. I suspect that it is intended to fit over the dovetail on which the vertical head slides in and out. You can see the arrangement in one of the photos on the lathes.uk site, and this arrangement is the same as later Thiels. If so, you could make a new one from a large chunk of Durabar or similar. With a bit of care, you could use the mill itself to make the bore in the support, thus getting it exactly in line. If my guess is correct and you want a photo (or a spare parts manual drawing) of a later Thiel over arm support for basic design layout, let me know.
If/when I have the proper arbors in-hand, my thought was to start with a cast-off arbor support that also used a dovetail support and remachine the mounting, then use a simple bushing to resize the arbors to the arbor-support.

I could use all the info I can get. I'll PM you for the drawings.

-Mark

Hey Mudd

How is your Thiel/Ruhla 58 doing? Have you got it going and how do you like it? Was it worth it?

My Dad left me the same mill, but 1953. She is in nice shape and with lots of tooling. I am a hobbyist mechanic/builder/fabricator and could use an universal mill. The small problem is, the machine is in Europe and I am in Canada.

My question : is it worth the headache to ship it over? I know that strictly dollarwise it is a loosing proposition, but she has lots of sentimental value to me. It is suppose to be one of the best universal mills ever. I played with it as a kid. If not saved, she will probably get scrapped.

Jerz

If not saved, she will probably get scrapped.

Jerz

I can understand the sentimental value (and the difficulty of getting it to Canada)

If you choose not to follow your heart don't scrap it - drop me a line and if it's in the UK I'm sure we can find it a good home.

Charles

Back