What's new
What's new

Thiel Duplex 159 manual

magnusrm

Plastic
Hi guys. I just bought a 1970 Thiel Duplex 159 mill that didnt have any manual. Does anyone have have a PDF of the manual? Ive found a site that sells hard copies for 65 + 75 GBP, but thats a lot and a PDF would do. Thanks alot!

There are two manuals.

The 'operating instructions' are useful, but non-essential in my view. Most of what they contain you can work out by yourself, or reverse engineer from the mill.

The 'Parts Manual' is definitely valuable. It contains drawings of all the main assemblies in the mill with references that give you bearing references etc. If you need to do any serious work I think you will find this manual helpful.

If you have specific queries about your mill, just post here.

Thank you for a tips. Will contact the german seller and ask if he can help. I do not have any specific questions yet, as I will not get the mill until next week, but I know that it had no manuals, and I think those could be useful in the future. It looked like a very nice design, only thing I negative at the first glance was the very low handles / wheels to move the table. Not very ergonomic for a tall guy.

Hi guys,
Recently I became the proud owner of a Thiel 159 milling machine. I had the opportunity to get this one cheap, but have little experience with this model.
The machine is in good condition and appears high quality at first glance.
The only drawback is that no accessories were included, and no documents either.
Since I do not understand all details in the operation, some kind of instruction manual would be helpful.
Does anyone have any documents to a Thiel 159 milling machine and would make them available to me?
I would be very thankful, since my long reserch in the internet was not very successful so far.
All I got is the manual in english language from that French website mentioned above.
Peter said something about a German version, which I would prefer, because I'm from Germany.
Also apart from the operating instructions, a parts manual was mentioned, which indeed seems very helpful for possible repairs or restorations in the future.
I am grateful for every kind of document about my new machine.
Thank you very much in advance, guys!

Greetings
Manuel

The Thiel 159 parts manual that I have is multi-lingual. It has German, English and French for all the parts. It is like a Rosetta stone for technical German quite apart from its value for maintenance. I bought it from lathes.co.uk. Expensive, but has proved to be invaluable. The translations were by Hayes Engineering Services and probably date from the 1960s.

I don't think the instruction manual is as useful if you have had any prior experience with milling machines. It does contain some useful charts, but mostly you can work things out without needing it.

Hi - I just acquired a Thiel Duplex 159. Very rare to get one in the UK and I'd been looking for quite a while and finally one came up at auction. It hasn't been cleaned for a very long time, swarf everywhere it could get into, and no visible oil in the sight glasses. It began life at AWE who are the nuclear engineering people. Like a MoD Holbrook lathe that I have I suspect it started life as the star of the show and then suffered increasing neglect as it was superseded by more modern machines. It's a 1978 model so relatively late.

Why a Thiel and not a Deckel or Aciera? I've no idea really, it's similar to why I prefer Holbrook lathes to CVA's or Smart & Brown. Sometimes you just come across a machine and think 'that's the one for me'.

Luckily it doesn't appear to have suffered any fundamental ill effects as far as I can see thus far. I will however have to strip it down and clean it out thoroughly, add oil and generally revitalise it.

This thread mentions a parts manual? That would be handy to see how everything fits together. For example I'd like to remove the overarm but can't figure it out by looking at it, I can see the chain crank mechanism that moves it and can remove the more forward clamp but then can't remove the other one.

Any help that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

That's very kind of you Peter thank you, I'll check those out. It came with a reasonable amount of tooling and accessories including important ones such as the horizontal arbor support and original arbors but anything else you may have could possibly be of interest so no harm in letting me know what you have.

Back