What's new
What's new

Time for a repaint. Aciera F4

shapeaholic

Stainless
Well.....
The majority of the repairs are completed and the time has come to decide on what paint to use.
A little research shows that many Euro machines are RAL 6011, which is a sort of green.
(please excuse my colour deficient descriptions)
My machine is a child of the late 60's, and I think it was originally Gray. It is now wearing Jacobs coat of many colours, few of which are remotely original.

SO.....
would anyone care to offer comments on what would be the original colour??

Thanks
Peter

My original sense is to paint "real" machines grey...Since my association with the Deckel FP-NC's i have become tolerant to the RAL 6011 (OSHA green)
If this were a Deckel i would say that manual machines should be grey till the advent of the "active" machines...Your machine being late 60's, I would think that the grey is appropriate......
But its your machine and you get to choose....Might want it pink and that's OK if it remains in your shop....Bought an FP3 from Northrup Aviation....horrible brown color scheme...looked like crap!
Got grey straight away...never looked back.....

Before......
attachment.php

After.....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Refinished using SH "Polaine"
Cheers Ross

My F4 and F5 are both OEM battleship gray. Like most everything else on those machines, the finish is up to Swiss standards. It is not far from bathtub enamel. I think the castings may have been machined all over before finishing. There is not a hump or ripple anywhere, and huge flat surfaces, like on the base and headstock, are flatter than could be achieved by casting alone.

For metalworking machines I top coat with clear semi gloss Spraymax. Two part spray can ( for those of us who don't use a lot of two part ). Press the plunger and you have 24 hrs to use up the can. Acetone won't touch it. Dave

Back