What's new
What's new

Tool for the job - got the bugger out!

bikepete

Cast Iron
This probably isn't really worthy of posting here but not seen many pics of late.

I've not had much time to actually use the workshop (been rebuilding it, almost done, pic soon!) since I got my FP1 almost a year ago, but finally got around to getting the 20mm collet adaptor out of the MT4 spindle where it had been for several years - I'm pretty sure it was in there since before the previous owner's time, and before that it was at a dealers, so it could well have been in place for years or even decades.

I'd been getting by just using milling cutters and some straight shank drill chucks etc in the 20mm collets, but found cutters kept creeping, and besides it needed to come out so I could fit other MT stuff.

As you'll see on the picture below the extractor nut had been well boogered up by someone trying to get it out with a screwdriver/hammer or crappy hook spanner etc. All edges rounded and scrappy. And some fool (me) had got it stuck on the spindle after my last attempt to remove it (with a decent hook spanner, but just wouldn't keep from slipping off).

So hacked a proper ring spanner out of a bit of 6mm gauge plate, a chance to use the Hoffman rotary table I'd found on ebay a while ago :)

spanner1.jpg

You'll have to excuse the crappy studding etc for hold downs :(

Took quite a bit of fitting with a file to adapt it to the messed up nut, but worked a treat - it's a 'tap on' fit and stays in place. Put the cheater bar on the end, FP1 in bottom gear and hey presto, it popped out first try:

spanner2.jpg

Adaptor surface and spindle are pristine

Hi bikepete

Good idea, never liked hook spanners they always damage the nut. Will be added to my list of things to make.

cheers Adrian.

Back