Cast Iron
Hello all,

Are you getting cabin fever yet?

Would it be possible to use NMTB40 tooling on a FP4NC
by replacing the hydraulic pull stud sustem with a NMTB
draw bar, or is there not enough from at the top for
the NMTB draw bar neck?

If there is not enough room at the top could I cut off
the NMTB neck and insert a deckel pull stud?

I have loads of NMTB40 tooling for my current Gorton mill.

Paul

Paul

I would not waste a good pushbutton toolchange by switching to the threaded drawbar, even if it was simple to do, which it isn't. Instead turn a DIN 2080 pull stud groove in the NMTB40 holder's neck. All tooling I have converted this way works just fine. The holders are hardened, but a heavy inserted parting and grooving tool (Manchester Separator) handles it just fine. Bison/Toolmex even sells NMTB40 tooling with the DIN 2080 groove already present, and even a little plastic ring at the top to reduce dinging the spindle taper when inserting the tooling. I am aware that some folks will stick a 5/8-16 setscrew in the drawbar hole when using the tooling on the Deckel, but I don't think it is necessary in light of Bison's products and my own experience.

To turn the groove, grab the toolholder business end in a chuck with low runout by some means or other, and then support the neck end with a big tailstock center. I'd copy the geometry from a tool with a known good DIN 2080 pullstud, or work it backward from published pullstud drawings.

Best regards and STAY HEALTHY!

RKlopp

Last edited:
By the way, you might need to clean up the conical seating surface for the live center used to support the toolholder neck while turning the groove. To do that, support the neck with a steady rest.

Back