What's new
What's new

Tricks for installing/removing accessories from a Deckel "SK40-type" dividing head ?

ballen

Diamond
Tricks for installing/removing accessories from a Deckel "SK40-type" dividing head ?

I've been switching my FP1/MT4 Deckel dividing head and accessories for an FP2/SK40 one. (Note that some of the MT4 stuff is still for sale, send me a PM if interested.)

Today I used the SK40 version for the first time, to cut a 17mm hex on the end of the part. I had a rough time getting the chuck plate on and off the ground interface on the end of the dividing head, because they are such a close fit that if there is any "cocking" the parts jam.

In the end what worked ok was to tighten a long steel bar into the chuck, then use that bar to "wiggle" the chuck on and off. Is there a better way? The fit is very close.

Cheers,
Bruce

Last edited:
Rotating the attachment while taking it or off helps. But care is required anyway

Not sure my answer will be of help, but....
I got a factory supplied 3 jaw chuck in some tooling i acquired times past..
However no adapter was included.
Made my own, interpreting photos and the catalogue listings..
At any rate, i fitted my adapter with a loose slip fit on the dividing head nose. .
made the location of the 4 grub screws so that they were slightly forward of their true position in the adapter relative to the spindle counter sinks.
The result is that the screws with their tapered ends when tightened pulls the adapter and chuck hard to the face of the spindle nose...further by having some
radial clearance between the adapter and the spindle, the screws also act to true the chuck and the work it holds.(4 jaw esk)

Works well, and its not difficult to install. No loss of rigidity as far as i can tell..and the adjust-ability is nice for fine work.
If your fit is snug, warm the adapter before fitting, remember to oil the spindle OD.

Cheers Ross

Ps: one of my gripes with Deckel tooling is that the spindle nose dimensions on the spiral milling attachment are not the same as the dividing head (40 taper) making it impossible
to just swap chucks between the two...Unusually stupid oversight from Deckel IMO.

Ps: one of my gripes with Deckel tooling is that the spindle nose dimensions on the spiral milling attachment are not the same as the dividing head (40 taper) making it impossible to just swap chucks between the two...Unusually stupid oversight from Deckel IMO.

Funny you should write that. After I got the SK40 stuff, I checked the fit of the chuck/backplate on the dividing head, then had a fantastic "aha" moment when I realised that this was going to fit on the spiral milling attachment also. Followed by the letdown 30 seconds later when I found that it was too large.

I guess one could make an adaptor collar that attaches to the spiral milling attachment, uses grub screws for locking, and has four more holes for the dividing head accessories.

Clearly someone at Deckel was thinking "profit" rather than "customer".

Last edited:
Hi Bruce, going back to your original question, going back 20 years (my last contact with a Deckel) one sure way of removal with chucks was to clock up the dividing head on axis with the vertical spindle, grip a bit of round bar in the chuck one end, suitable collet in spindle other end & lower dividing head .. bingo, no strain no fuss. HOWEVER that was a last resort. With practice you do get the knack of lifting D H attachments off with one smart straight lift, ditto putting them on. On a bad day, everyone has them, installing on the D H involved attempting the straight drop .. failed? .. then gently tap the chuck or faceplate or 2 jaw chuck/vice alternating diameters with a plastic-faced hammer. To be honest I can't remember whether we went alternating diameters (most likely) or simply 12 o'clock, 3,6,9,12 rather than the 12,6,3,9. Whichever, generally twice around max would see the chuck or ..... drop nicely on with a satisfying 'clunk'.

Make an alignment bar....Like the collet draw bar but longer and no need for threads.
Make one end sized to be a nice slip fit in the dividing head spindle bore.

Grip your bar in the chuck with it facing to the rear(out the back)
Slip the bar into the spindle bore which will align the adapter straight with the spindle nose.....slide the adapter/chuck straight on to the spindle.
The trick is to get things aligned straight, and the bar will do this.
Cheers Ross

Make an alignment bar....Like the collet draw bar but longer and no need for threads.
Make one end sized to be a nice slip fit in the dividing head spindle bore.

Grip your bar in the chuck with it facing to the rear(out the back)
Slip the bar into the spindle bore which will align the adapter straight with the spindle nose.....slide the adapter/chuck straight on to the spindle.
The trick is to get things aligned straight, and the bar will do this.
Cheers Ross

Try that with the self centering vise :P

Back