What's new
What's new

The ultimate accessory for your FP1

bentley1930

Hot Rolled
Hi Deckeleers!

Look at this and eat your hearts out!

DSCN1476.jpg

Fit this vintage lathe to your FP. This will take about five minutes and it`s not heavy like all those other FP accessories.

DSCN1477.jpg

This lovely little British EW lathe from the early 60`s would be an ideal present for your budding engineer son or daughter, even to keep the wife out of mischief!
5 inch swing x 10 inches between centres could be for sale together with a host of accessories!

Alan

I think the ultimate "accessory" for that lathe would be a motor and a workbench.

Yea, that's what i want to do is Change Over every time i need to go from a bit of milling to some turning.....Guess if you were working in a closet where you could only have the FP1, i might see the logic....
Its cute and novel of sorts but hardly "ultimate"
Bet you are one of those guys that thought a "Shop Smith" was a great tool....
Cheers Ross

Hi Deckeleers!

Look at this and eat your hearts out!

View attachment 229678

Fit this vintage lathe to your FP. This will take about five minutes and it`s not heavy like all those other FP accessories.

View attachment 229679

This lovely little British EW lathe from the early 60`s would be an ideal present for your budding engineer son or daughter, even to keep the wife out of mischief!
5 inch swing x 10 inches between centres could be for sale together with a host of accessories!

Alan

LOL
Does it cook and clean? ....nope? I dont want it.

here is basically the same thing, no belt required, use overarm as a center - comes with an option to set up gang tooling as well... :D

1398951235365.jpg

Hi Deckeleers.

Ross, Although meant as a leg pull to lighten up the forum, having a small lathe like the EW can be useful in conjunction with the FP
I had a new one back in 1954, and as you surmised, it was my only machine tool and had to do everything! It was situated in my bedroom at first mounted on a folding down shelf and although I promised my mother that there would be no mess, you can guess what happened! When we moved to Coventry it stood in the coal store in our Victorian house. Yes a closet!

Er, what is a "shop smith".

Alan

Alan, it made me laugh, which being a grumpy old person is not easy.

Also you forget to mention the built in coolant pump for those really heavy cuts.
Eat your heart out Myford.

Ciao Adrian.

Another classic from the archive of odd and impractical things to do with a FP1.

It even overcomes the inadequacy of no power Y feed.
However don't recall seeing that option in the Deckel sales blurb.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• Deckel-1.JPG
    Deckel-1.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 204
Another classic from the archive of odd and impractical things to do with a FP1.

It even overcomes the inadequacy of no power Y feed.
However don't recall seeing that option in the Deckel sales blurb.

Ciao Adrian.

Hi Deckeleers.

Adrian, At last someone with a sense of humour, is it a coincidence that you hail from the UK?

Perhaps we could have a funny caption contest for your posted Deckel photos. Let me have a go!

1/ "German scientists invent the world`s first bagel piercing machine".

2/ "The world`s first flying saucer being manufactured by brilliant German engineers".

Alan

That photo is from the 1938 Deckel sales brochure, so you can imagine the awful backdrop of the time.

Anyway on a lighter note

The Y axis operating apprentice is asking the man.

"Are you sure you got the scale factor right, it looks a little big for a clock wheel"

or

"secret of huge pizza dividing machine revealed"

Ciao Adrian.

Er, what is a "shop smith".
Purchase Your Shopsmith Mark 7 or Mark V

Shopsmith -- Change From Tool To Tool In Seconds

Basically a woodworking machine that woodworker wannabes buy and then realize it's such a PITA to change from one function to the other it sits in the garage forever or get's sold on Craigs List to the next woodworker wannabe with shallower pockets.

In the late 80's, early 90's there was a heavier duty version of this called the Fox Super Shop that even had power feed and could supposedly be used to turn aluminum in lathe mode...but it also was a POS really... the "ways" were simply the two round bars.

Photos of Fox Super Shop 1-in-1 Woodworking tool - Tool-Hunter.com

Purchase Your Shopsmith Mark 7 or Mark V

Shopsmith -- Change From Tool To Tool In Seconds

Basically a woodworking machine that woodworker wannabes buy and then realize it's such a PITA to change from one function to the other it sits in the garage forever or get's sold on Craigs List to the next woodworker wannabe with shallower pockets.

In the late 80's, early 90's there was a heavier duty version of this called the Fox Super Shop that even had power feed and could supposedly be used to turn aluminum in lathe mode...but it also was a POS really... the "ways" were simply the two round bars.

Photos of Fox Super Shop 1-in-1 Woodworking tool - Tool-Hunter.com

Thanks for the info milacron.

Yes! yes! yes! I definitely want one for Christmas, come to think of it, that machine does look a bit like a Christmas tree when it`s put together.

That`s it! game over!

Does anybody want to buy an FP1 and EW lathe going cheeeeep.

Alan

Bruce, I read your thread that gave an insight into the versatility of the milling machine at the time that you created it. I remember once having an argument with a co worker about Bridgeport versus lathe and was convinced by him that the milling machine is more versatile!

Although in post #1 showing the EW lathe being driven by the FP1 spindle, the fact is, that although this is quite feasible and will work very satisfactorily, it`s not the way forward unless you don`t have enough room in your workshop for a lathe.

Alan

Yea, that's what i want to do is Change Over every time i need to go from a bit of milling to some turning.....Guess if you were working in a closet where you could only have the FP1, i might see the logic....
Its cute and novel of sorts but hardly "ultimate"
Bet you are one of those guys that thought a "Shop Smith" was a great tool....
Cheers Ross

Ross, you unwittingly mentioned the crux of the problem with our beloved Deckel mills and that is changing the accessories!

Thanks to milacron I was able to find out about that genius product the "Shop Smith and" wondered why this was never marketed in Europe? Could it be that Europeans are more intelligent than Americans, probably not, but it does beg the question!

One thing in the favour of the "Shop Smith" is that the use of aluminium makes the accessories feather light compared to the heavyweight Deckel accessories and although hardened Deckeleers will probably protest at this suggestion, I bet that anyone considering changing a Deckel accessory will think twice about it and probably use another less problematic machine to do those small jobs on.

Be honest now! Don`t try to tell us black is white! If you wanted to machine the hexagon on a special one off bolt would you lug that fatty of an indexing head onto the table to carry out this simple task? I think the answer is an emphatic no but there are always those nutters that would say yes.

That silly little EW lathe that most of you scoffed at could come into play here and provide the answer to many of those simple jobs that are necessary on a daily basis without having to struggle with all those arm stretching Deckel accessories.

I`m not talking about the lathe being under power but being used as a static accessory for those silly little time consuming small jobs that we all unfortunately have to handle. I`m not saying that this small lathe will replace those lead weighted original sexy, desirable Deckel accessories for more complex heavier work, so please don`t try to say that i`m suggesting this.

By utilizing simple adapters to positively mount the lathe onto the Deckel table (not those flimsy ones shown in the photos) the lathe by the addition of a simple detent engaging with a gear attached to the lathe spindle can carry out indexing work to be able to machine the hexagon on that bolt that I mentioned.

Could be used for machining splines, gear teeth etc. and it only weighs about 10Kg

Could replace the Spiral Milling Attachment by adding a train of gears from the leadscrew. The job i`m thinking of here is machining those internal oil grooves in bearings. I know that this can be done on sophisticated dividing heads but we are talking about the Deckel accessories.

By the way! Nobody pointed out that in the photos of the lathe being driven by the vertical head spindle the rotation would be in the wrong direction for driving the lathe spindle!

Alan

Back