What's new
What's new

Unknown spiral milling attachment

Porsche Nut

Plastic
Hi all
Been lurking here for a while but finally joined.
I have a bit of a home workshop that is slowly growing.
I have a chinese deckle style mill which I'm sure will upset some of you but it's my first milling machine and much better than most of the other options easily available in my price bracket here in Australia. A real Deckel is high on the list to sit next to my S0 and S1 grinders.
Getting back to the topic at hand. My dad and I were browsing through some second hand equipment the other day and this spiral milling attachment caught my eye.
It doesn't look like any Deckel dividing head/ spiral mill attachment I've seen before. You'll note it only tilts in one axis. The action was super smooth and precise. You'll also note the dual handle arrangement. I was confused about the spindle on it. Looks to have MT4 bore but also an odd outside bore.
All that is there is shown in the pics.
Any idea what brand, model?
Cheers
IMG_5289-1200.jpgIMG_5290-1200.jpgIMG_5291-1200.jpgIMG_5292-1200.jpg
Edwin

I don't suppose anyone thought to take a decent picture of the label/tag that is visible on the side of it?

Nice looking rig. Interesting path for the power feed.

One thing to consider is that the outside taper may be simply to provide clearance, rather than as a mount surface. I do not see any means other than a through the spindle draw bar, to hold a chuck on it otherwise.

Cheers
Trev

I wish it was as easy as reading the tag.
The tag is an Australian Defence Force item number tag.
All gov equipment is given a number but not traceable.
I'm not sure that the outer taper would be able to hold a chuck and suspect it is more for clearance with the operating angle as well.
Drive transfer box looks very Deckel as does the colour and the mounting spacing.

It has a look of Christen about the head but the tailstock looks a little crude . Christen also made swivelling auxillary tables for dividing heads with a single slot down the middle.

You haven't told us if you bought it or the price (necessary gloat). I'd have bought it!

Thanks for the feedback.
I haven't bought it but its been sitting in the back of the shop for years apparently and they will let it go reasonably priced I'm sure.
My tool purchase for the week was a pair of pantographs including a GK21. Great looking machines that hopefully I'll be able to find a use for.
Cheers
Edwin

I wish it was as easy as reading the tag.
The tag is an Australian Defence Force item number tag.
All gov equipment is given a number but not traceable.
I'm not sure that the outer taper would be able to hold a chuck and suspect it is more for clearance with the operating angle as well.
Drive transfer box looks very Deckel as does the colour and the mounting spacing.

Depends upon the numbering system they use. If it is the same system as the NSN (National Stock Number in the USA, NATO Stock Number here in Canada) that seems to prevail elsewhere, there is a bunch of data that can be found, but one needs access to the relevant sources in order to find out and cross reference it into something useful. The typical format for a NSN is XXXX-XX-XXX-XXXX.

Maybe not so much if all it has is a Supply Account or Inventory number.

Nice looking bit of kit. Sorta surprises me that the maker did not see fit to put their name all over it.

Cheers
Trev

On the contrary ,the Thiel dividing head use a similar external taper on their dividing head to mount larger chucks ,it was also used on the horizontal spindle on the 158

Thiel 158 Page 3

It doesn't look the same otherwise though.

Interesting that looking at that last link to the Thiel page. The hand crank has a similar layout and the tail stock on the spiral milling attachment is the same, screw type from the rear under the spindle. Plus the taper on the head.
I'd say it's definitely a Thiel made part but I imagine that's a very small market for a used spiral milling attachment.
It is certainly nicely made and would be nice on the shelf but not immediately useful.

Well that spindle nose on the Thiel certainly looks to be a match, and the chuck shown in the accessories picture also seems to point that way.

The real question is, can it be made to be useful on a Deckel? Is the drive adaptable to mesh with the drive on the axis of the FP?
And, How cheap is cheap? Not cheap enough, I suppose, if you have not snatched it up and carted it home. :)

Cheers
Trev

Hi, I am also new at this forum. I saw this thread, and since I have a couple of Thiel 158's in use this is of interest. There seems to miss some gears, (14 off) and cover for the gears. Is this equipment for sale? Regards, Toolmaker from Norway
PS. you could DM me on [email protected]

ABu:

Welcome here. You probably saw that the item resides in Australia? I'm afraid the freight might be prohibitive...Where in Norway do you live? You might state some personal details in your profile. Myself, I'm in Oslo.

Ole

G'day Edwin,
Thanks for posting these photos, it is indeed a spiral milling attachment for a Thiel Duplex 158. Here's a couple of relevant pages from the Thiel manual, sorry they're not great quality.

Thiel Spiral Milling Attachment 01.jpg Thiel Spiral Milling Attachment 02.jpg

As picked up by Sable the external taper is probably the same as that on the horizontal spindle which was for mounting chucks although the vertical spindle has a similar but smaller taper which I believe was purely for clearance so it is difficult to say for sure without knowing the measurements.
The internal taper is probably MT5 which was the standard taper on the later model 158's.

As mentioned by ABu the gears appear to be missing but this is something that can be worked around if necessary.

Where is the attachment located if you don't mind me asking? I have a Thiel 158 and while I don't have any pressing need for a spiral milling attachment I would be very tempted to grab it as I doubt I'll ever see another one come up in Australia, assuming of course that you don't want it of course :D

It's is interesting to learn that the ADF used Thiel's, I know they they were sold by McPhersons in Australia but I only know of a couple of blokes out here who have them.
Cheers,
Greg.

Back