What's new
What's new

Upgrading power feed FP1

poyo

Aluminum
Hello all,

I've been trying to figure out how to upgrade the power feed on my Deckel FP1, I have a change gear feed model probably built year is around 1941-43. I received the mill without any accessories or change gears. Its been a year since I have the machine, it came with a rotating table attached with self made alu bracket. Meanwhile I found a original deckel tilt table assume-ably from later model but fits perfectly. Also introduced some tooling and stuff. This summer my main goal will be to strip the machine completely, remove the 80 years grease, clean, paint and finally update the power feed mechanism. I've seen many examples of other mills where people attached power feed to the handle with some sort of attachment. But this is not what I have in mind. I was thinking to modify the feed block in the photo below

s-l1600 (4).jpg

with some timing belt power transmission, expand it to outside and place a AC motor with gear reduction which will be then controlled with a VFD and controller to introduce some rapid move features too. And I still want to be able to use the existing lever. I am not planning to use the oil pump for lubrication so I'll have the entire space there for my imagination.

I did not dig into details of how the feed mechanism currently works under the rails and stuff but I can't see a reason why this should not work.

Machine is a project and I am willing to keep it for good.

If there is anyone who tried or thought of the same thing, have some feedback or thinks it won't work please let me know. I am open to suggestions and discussions.

Machine was not treated well in recent years but all the moving mechanisms are in perfect shape. I'll update the post with recent photos of the machine later.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

I can't see no reason why it wouldn't work, and this is exactly the path I'd choose if I had to do it.
Keep us posted !

It's a good idea! I have one constructive comment. You wrote:

place a AC motor with gear reduction which will be then controlled with a VFD and controller

Consider instead using a brushless DC motor (BLDC) with Hall effect sensors for feedback, plus a BLDC controller. Compared with the 3-phase AC motor + VFD these are (1) smaller (2) generate more torque at low speeds and (3) are more efficient and generate less heat. The 400W motors are small enough that you could probably fit one inside the machine, which has several advantages.

I have several vfds and ac motors which I thought I could make use of, not sure still how much torque I would need. I also have some closed loop steppers ranging from 4 to 12 Newton meters that I can use. I don't want to spend much money on the solution. A good bldc with controller can be costy. Thank you for the reply though, if I were reserve some reasonable budget for the project bldc would be a great choice.

Last edited:

Back