What's new
What's new

US import duty on used mill made in Switzerland ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Customs broker listed it on their invoice at 4.2%... higher than I expected...what say ye ?

Swiss goodies arrived today...excellent crating Peter, thanks ! IMG_5907-1.jpg IMG_5921-1.jpg IMG_5908.jpg.....Connect to 380V tomorrow.... :smoking: (just realized my wife shot is a strange optical illusion regarding comparitive sizes...she's 5'6" and the mill is just a little smaller than an FP2... LOL.. )

That's a cute little machine, how does that compare in size the the Deckels? e.g. FP1 or FP2 ?
It strikes me as just a little smaller than a late model FP2... a tad larger than a Schaublin 13. A good home shop size IMHO.

There is no difference, duty is duty
This is not correct. There are tons of different classifications, and often the different classifications have different duty rates. Sometimes you can save quite a bit of money by choosing a different class, for the same thing. Probably not supposed to but hey, if two different descriptions both fit and one is cheaper ...

This is not correct. There are tons of different classifications, and often the different classifications have different duty rates. Sometimes you can save quite a bit of money by choosing a different class, for the same thing. Probably not supposed to but hey, if two different descriptions both fit and one is cheaper ...

Well, OK, you are correct that there are many different duty rates. I was just referring to the new versus used category.....I don't believe that differentiation is made.

Swiss goodies arrived today...excellent crating Peter, thanks ! View attachment 300095 View attachment 300096 View attachment 300097.....Connect to 380V tomorrow.... :smoking: (just realized my wife shot is a strange optical illusion regarding comparitive sizes...she's 5'6" and the mill is just a little smaller than an FP2... LOL.. )

Now we know.. it was never ABOUT the Swiss goods. Yah have been lookng for an excuse to brag about the LADY!

Any one that is healthy and still SMILES after getting to know her guy is a good 'un!

Congratulations!

Oh... nice machine, too. And yes, I paid about the same duty to ship each of many data center housed web servers INTO Switzerland, too, IIRC. So I'd call that "normalized" and best you can do.

Well, OK, you are correct that there are many different duty rates. I was just referring to the new versus used category.....I don't believe that differentiation is made.

Over 60 thousand back when I still had "the duty", 60 countries-plus. Not really one of the DETAILS Luke Hellmann and I discussed, either! Hellman's databases, rather. Founder's G'son or not, it was about as boringly-tedious as any database on-planet, and he already had other goals.

And yes. Some used goods are hit harder than new, and/or have stiff inspections for hazards they can acquire in the course of their normal use.

Back