What's new
What's new

vertical head for deckel fp1

kpotter

Diamond
I found a deckel fp1 for sale down the street from me but it is onle the horizontal mill with overarm no vertical head. How hard is it to find a vertical head and how insanely expensive is it. I havent found any for sale on line.

Those do show up, but not common. Usually a machine will sell to gather with the vertical head, if present. I sometimes see for sale the high speed vertical head - driven by a separate motor - as this was a separate accessory.
Still, a FP1 with the horizontal spindle only is a nice horizontal mill in it own right and I would take if the price is right.

Assuming you need the usual no 4mt spindle version, I have a separate FP1 vertical head I would sell.

I have not purchased the mill it has been sitting for sale for at least 2 years they want 2 grand for it. I think it is an older machine I will find out what taper it has.

The machine is MT4, I've watched the ad myself. I already have an FP1 with the vertical head. It's a lever machine, not a dial, its a basket case and you have no idea if all the parts are there or not. There is a reason it's been for sale for two years and still hasn't sold....

Well, I'm not saying it might not be a decent mill, but I'd be hard pressed to buy an FP1 without a vertical head in perfect running order that I could test run for more than $2k. I haven't seen a lone head sell for a long time, but from what I recall, $1000-$1500 would be a reasonable price, so that kind of makes the machine below the head a boat anchor. Being as it is in your neighborhood, I would at least go look at it. Deckel quality is pretty high up there in comparison to most machinery. I run 99% of my parts on a CNC mill now, but I can't bring myself to let go of the little Deckel.

Is this the "dial type" Deckel where the seller is such a moron he thinks the axis dials are unique features on a mill ?

I suggest you go inspect this machine before you purchase. Its been sitting for 20 years in pieces. I've seen the listing.
I asked him if he wants to sell parts off it, he said NO.

kpottter:
My suggestion is if you are really interested, that you attempt to contact a local member (Az.) One that is familiar with the FP1 in particular, arrange for him to inspect the machine
to see what is there and what is missing, and the general condition.
Believe that member "Brian" lives in Phoenix Az. and has at least one FP1.....Maybe he could be hired to survey the machine.

These are not overtly complex machines and if mostly there this might not be a bad buy (if its an FP1 you're after). Owner might be willing to negotiate since its been sitting for awhile and is both disassembled and missing the vert head.
My personal choice would to keep an eye out for an FP2!...An FP2 will cost more..but offers better features overall, that you would likely find worth the bump in cost.
Cheers Ross

Back