What's new
What's new

What did I buy?

jreiland

Aluminum
Hey everyone. I found this on eBay, and because I have an addiction to rotary tables I bought it. It was advertised as a Deckel tilting indexing chuck, didn’t have a size referenced in the ad. It seemed kind of small when I received it, I was hoping someone would have more information on what it’s main purpose was. Chuck measures 4”, the base can pivot from 0-90 degrees.
Thanks in advance!

Its off a pantograph engraver. I have one and you can use it for very very very light work

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have what I believe to be the Alexander version of the same head.

If you go back through Stephan Gotteswinter's (I probably butchered that last name) youtube lists, he shows one while using his Deckel Panto Engraver.

Also on his site Deckel G1L engraver – Stefan Gotteswinter

Oooh. Just noticed. Yours IS an Alexander version (the GHA marking on the edge of the tilting table!) George H. Alexander, IIRC, who was either the English importer and seller of things Deckel, or was licensed to reproduce them locally in the UK. Or he just plain was ripping off the designs, but like as not THAT would have been newsworthy enough to be on record somewhere. I have not had anyone tell me anything but supposition so far...

Just ran down and grabbed mine. Mine has a Pratt Burnerd marked tommy bar chuck, no GHA markings, and has been mildly modified by having the scallop beneath the chuck when it is upright, hogged out a little deeper to provide clearance, likely to allow the jaws to extend a bit more when working on larger diameter items.
I worked on the assumption mine was a GHA, as it has the British made chuck on it. Dunno if Deckel used PB chucks on theirs.

The story I have heard RE: alexander/deckel is that prior to WWII GHA had licensed deckel's products, when the war started they continued to make them without paying the royalties.

The story I have heard RE: alexander/deckel is that prior to WWII GHA had licensed deckel's products, when the war started they continued to make them without paying the royalties.

Had heard similar. I'd be interested to know if they reached an agreement postwar, or if they just continued making the clones as 'war reparations' or some other business deal. I would have suspected that they must have reached some agreement as GHA was making clones of Deckel stuff for some further years I think.

The only marking on the chuck on mind is an f in a larger d so I assume freidrich deckel. Although I'm sure it would have been made under contract. Strangely mine came with two different degree wheels.

The only marking on the chuck on mind is an f in a larger d so I assume freidrich deckel. Although I'm sure it would have been made under contract. Strangely mine came with two different degree wheels.

I went and looked at the ebay pictures again at he mention of two degree wheels to see if they showed in the pictures there.

Are they the same? Or do they have different number of index marks? I am working on the theory that these are the fine dividing knobs on the worm. Yes?

I just noticed a few interesting differences between yours and mine. Mine only has one angle locking nut, on the side that has the 0-90 index on it.

The quick release lever and fine dividing knob on mine are on the opposite sides from yours. It's obvious that it was built this way, as all the stuff is on the correct end, just that they decided for some reason the correct end was the other one! :)

Interesting....

All good the wheels on mine have different marks ill get photos as soon as this lockdown is over.

I have what I believe to be the Alexander version of the same head.

If you go back through Stephan Gotteswinter's (I probably butchered that last name) youtube lists, he shows one while using his Deckel Panto Engraver.

Also on his site Deckel G1L engraver – Stefan Gotteswinter

Oooh. Just noticed. Yours IS an Alexander version (the GHA marking on the edge of the tilting table!) George H. Alexander, IIRC, who was either the English importer and seller of things Deckel, or was licensed to reproduce them locally in the UK. Or he just plain was ripping off the designs, but like as not THAT would have been newsworthy enough to be on record somewhere. I have not had anyone tell me anything but supposition so far...

Just ran down and grabbed mine. Mine has a Pratt Burnerd marked tommy bar chuck, no GHA markings, and has been mildly modified by having the scallop beneath the chuck when it is upright, hogged out a little deeper to provide clearance, likely to allow the jaws to extend a bit more when working on larger diameter items.
I worked on the assumption mine was a GHA, as it has the British made chuck on it. Dunno if Deckel used PB chucks on theirs.
If you ever want to sell the pb chuck lmk. The hand lever scrolls are great for glass lathes

If you ever want to sell the pb chuck lmk. The hand lever scrolls are great for glass lathes
Not a liklihood I would entertain, unless the time comes that I feel the need to be rid of the whole unit. The chuck appears to be pretty well integrated in to the spindle, and if it comes off at all, it would require some pretty extensive teardown of the indexer.

Back