What's new
What's new

What model abene mill?

twin staged

Aluminum
Sorry about the bad pictures I haven’t seen the mill in person. Had this over in the antique forum, but this might be the better place. Is it an abene and what model? Thanks
BDC39C8F-756C-4725-9FE3-F52FB23CBEC0.jpgAB9C8299-1A57-4EA3-8DD0-B0F752C53205.jpg

Vhf 1? Can’t see spindle well but I would assume Morse taper 4 tooling?

Hehe, if theres a 2 - 3 makes sense theres a 1 eh :). Fwiw Ive a VHF-3 and it has a 40 taper.
The only thing I could find on the webs that looks like yours was here:-
Abene No.66 • Maskinisten
Might find something of use if you run it through translate.

defo looks like yours with the spindle and drive motors mounted as they are.
192084854253cd29bc6cadc.jpg

Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon.

Ah on Tonys site No 4 morse is mentioned for earlier machines. According the production figure table the machine shown in the previous post as 'Abene No.66' was made in 1943 as a VHF-2B. An early model perhaps? Maybe a quick call or email to the factory might give 'the' answer.
Id be interested to find out.

Edit:-
Looks like the owner of Abene 66 did a bit of digging too.
interesting.jpg

Yep that looks like the same machine. Definitely an early machine then. It was more of a curiosity to know what it was. I would only buy it if it was savable and had a little value to keep it away from the scrappers. Maybe I’ll check it out tomorrow and get some better pictures. Would probably just clean it up and re list for someone else. Thanks for locating that stuff

A66B41DA-9E40-497B-9040-17AC63C7406A.jpg64ABC89A-FAFD-476F-895B-0110312D7360.jpg

Looked at the mill today. You can tell it was well cared for a big part of its life. I’m assuming when the high school got it is when things went south. About 10 percent scrapping left in the middle of the Y. The x axis looks decent. Power feed trip lever stuff is all missing and a crack in the front panel, but the gear box for the power feed works fine. Spindle appears to be in good shape. Someone painted the dovetails of the z axis and painted over the ways on the base casting. It could be saved but the 4 Morse taper spindle is a deal breaker for me. It’s currently sitting at scrap value in the auction so I can assume someone else is saving it.

Just stumbled across this older thread in search of something else. Anyhow, I have this same Abene mill, and from what I recall, it's model is VHF-2. Mine is NMTB40 taper, a 1951 based off serial number. I don't have recent photos of it on hand, and even if I did, it'd only show my embarrassingly messy shop currently.
13177.jpg

Back