What's new
What's new

What are these deckel fp2 parts?

swehollow

Plastic
Hi. Could someone help me identify where these two parts go? Have a deckel fp2 that has been in parts for some time and I can't remember where these go. The round bushing was in a bag marked with x axis, but I can't figure where it was located? The other one I can't remember either. :confused:

Attachments

• 20200831_214451.jpg
    20200831_214451.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi. Could someone help me identify where these two parts go? Have a deckel fp2 that has been in parts for some time and I can't remember where these go. The round bushing was in a bag marked with x axis, but I can't figure where it was located? The other one I can't remember either. :confused:

The round ring is to help oil the X-axis lead screw. It sits on the lead screw inside the support, just next to the lead screw nut. It just "flops there". The idea is that as you turn the lead screw, this ring dips into an oil pool below the lead screw, and carries some of that oil onto the lead screw. If you look carefully at the parts diagrams, you will see it there. I know this because when I finished putting together my FP2, this was the only part left over. See here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...own-reassembly-277534/index7.html#post2281221

I am not entirely sure about the smaller part, I think it is part of the locking mechanism for the scale indicator for one of the three axes. I'm pretty sure that it's not for Y, which means either X or Z. It is certainly part of a lock for a dovetail slide, but too small to belong to any of the main X/Y/Z slides. Hence my focus on the indicator rulers/scales.

Thank you! So it sits inside the casting behind the x axis nut?

Exactly. Remove end cap, remove bellows and support rods, remove lead screw nut, insert ring, reassemble. Takes about an hour if you have done it fairly recently, since nothing will be frozen, overtorqued, burred, rusted, etc.

(I have my machine somewhat torn apart at the moment for painting, so probably in a few weeks I will be posting a similar plea to help me identify parts that got left behind in reassembly!)

Ring oilers work very well if they are correctly designed and run with clean oil. For interest we have a Royce dynamo in the museum where I work which probably dates to the 1880s - before Royce teamed up with Rolls to form Rolls Royce. The bearings are still good after all these years.

Last edited:

Back