What's new
What's new

what would those cellophan leaves be for?

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Hi to all,

still in the (never ending) pursuit of putting some order in my tooling, I stumbled upon a small envelope containing some nice cellphan leaves, accompanied by what seems to me as a Deckel etiquette.

attachment.php

Out of pure curiosity, does anyone know that these were (are?) used for?

Thanks
Thanos

Does not look like a Deckel part number to me....

Those are an original Deckel part. In my accessories cabinet is an identical envelope with the original Deckel parts sticker from the 1960s. These cellophane sheets are for initial set up and periodic verification of the alignment between the arbor axis and the magnifying glass reticule cross hairs of the Stempelfräseinrichtung (punch milling attachment). If you look in the manual, you will see instructions to lay a cellophane sheet in between the cross-hairs on the reticule and the cross hairs on the test arbor. Otherwise you risk scratching them when they are brought into close proximity. For the same reason, according to the instructions (below) you are also supposed to lay these cellphone sheets in between the work and the magnifying glass

attachment.php

PS: after five years of Deckel ownership, this is an exciting "first": I can finally teach Ross something :D.

Last edited:
PS: after five years of Deckel ownership, this is an exciting "first": I can finally teach Ross something :D.

Good catch on the part number.
Lots of head room there....Have some knowledge on the machines, but know absolutely nothing about the ":punch milling" setup or accessories with
the exception of the balanced clamping vise that mounts to the dividing head.. Never paid it too much attention, as i believe i will never use this process or its specific tooling.
Cheers Ross

Thanks Bruce,

so you HAVE read the whole manual!! :)

(was not sure about the part number, but the font sure seems deckelish to me).

Now that the 'punch milling' issue came up....I find it very fascinating, and have a lot of questions, but that'll be a new thread.

many thanks
Thanos

Now that the 'punch milling' issue came up....I find it very fascinating, and have a lot of questions, but that'll be a new thread.

The punch milling attachment is useful if you want to make small flat parts that have different radii on them. I'd do it with a CNC mill if I had one, but I don't.

Yeap, but the thing is:

1. They did not use it only for flat parts, but for tallish punches as well! And I am not sure I inderstand how this was done horizontally unless the diameter of the cutter exceeds the height of the part, so that you cut only by rotating with the indexing head. But that's not what they are showing, they imply using the Z axis to do all the cutting, no? You would run into clearance issues anyhow with a fat cutter trying to cut internal and external adjacent radii.

2. Ok, you need many radii around the part, right? So you have to recenter for each radius and then use the indexing head for the radius cutting. But how on earth are you to recenter for a new radius in the XY plane when the punch milling attachement has only one sliding axis?? I would be happy if the punch milling attachement was a small XY table to be mounted on the indexing head, but it isn't...

Apparently there is something I don't get, and I admit not spending the time to actually study the manual.......

BR,
Thanos

Ok....for no2:
"By rotating and/or sliding the clamping flange...." There's your two degrees of freedom....:) In the manual, of course...

No1 question stands though. I'd expect a constant cut by rotating the indexing head, for uniform finish, not several up/downs along Z for small rotational steps.

Back