What's new

Whatsa Sixis?

Nice Guy

Aluminum
So I was looking for a lathe and I came across this little mill:
00m0m_hDkW2nTGSPI_1200x900.jpg
before the DRO was attached:
IMG_0001.jpg
The seller says it has "all" the accessories. In the pictures there is an indexing attachment, rotary table with a chuck attached, fixed and inclinded table.
00j0j_UQjSIKNQSt_1200x900.jpg
00p0p_cN2XVCMD0zP_1200x900.jpg
00z0z_c7BBQ7Zk8ex_1200x900.jpg

The seller is a start up drone manufacturer. He bought it from a collector in upstate NY. The collector had friends in Switzerland and made periodic trips there when he collected the accessories. He was able to pick through a warehouse with what was left of Sixis after they liquidated.

I had a 101, next size down for a couple years, same nice condition, with a DRO, no quill on the vertical. Really nice machine, was worth too much to keep for how much I used it so it got sold. the 102 looks more useful if youre not watchmaking.

Markp is that a 101 in the distance in the second picture in the post just before yours. In the other picture there is a Schaublin 13 mill in the background.

I bought it. I think the price was at least reasonable and maybe a good deal. I just bought full size universal mill that isn't even home yet so it's not terribly rational. It's just such a nice machine.

The original collector might have had one but the person I bought it from doesn't. I think he has a Fehlmann mill/jig borer for sale for 12K and a Maho MH800 for 2K.

I bought it. I think the price was at least reasonable and maybe a good deal. I just bought full size universal mill that isn't even home yet so it's not terribly rational. It's just such a nice machine.

Thanks for taking that Sixis off the market. I went to see it and the other nice machines he has when they first went on the market. Super nice condition on the Sixis. pretty much looked unused. I was tempted to go for it and every time I see it appear again. Enjoy!

Did you get the machine yet?

I had been watching the listing, but decided I couldn't justify the price vs utility for my work. A 103 would be easier to justify. I first reached out to them back in April and kept an eye on it hoping it would go to auction or something because they weren't interested in the price I offered. I even reached out to the original NY owner like you seemed to have, but didn't follow up because I talked myself out of it. They have been trying to sell machines for months so they must not have rent to pay or something.

They had a very odd collection of machines for a small startup...Fehlmann of some sort, Sixis 102, Maho MH600, Shaublin 102n, and then a Tormach(??). Seems that someone spent a bunch of money and probably time on collector style machines only to end up with a hobby CNC. A Fadal or Hass and a BP seems like it would make a lot more sense for the money and when time existing as a startup is the enemy.

Good luck and enjoy the machine. Post your thoughts and impressions when you get some time with it.

It was picked up last Thursday. As far as I know it hasn't been shipped yet.
The principal volunteered that they were closing shop to due COVID.
I will post some pics when it arrives.
My new old Deckel FP2 arrived today so I have my hands full for the time being.

Well it finally came. The trucking company let it sit for 3 weeks somewhere. But it was in a barrier bag with dessicant so at least it wasn't out rusting.

sixis 102.jpg

Here are the extra parts that came with:

tool left.jpg

tool right.jpg

Now I have to figure out how the parts fit together.

The DRO is a little rough compared to the mill. It looks like it was bought used, but it works. Maybe I can find a more modern one that isn't as big as the mill.
There are 7 thousandths of play in the x axis and a little less in the y axis.
The seller told me it was 120V single phase but it looks like 3 phase 50 Hz.
main motor.jpg
feed motor.jpg

Nice machine
And Yes European motors 3ph 50 Hz dual voltage 220 or 380 volts
With 60 Hz those voltages should be a bit higher if you have a choise About +10%

If you do not have 3ph I would replace the pump with a single phase and use a single ph input 3 ph output VFD for the spindle motor With a single ph step up transformer if need be

Peter

Last edited:
The seller told me it was 120V single phase but it looks like 3 phase 50 Hz.

Do as Peter suggests. If you are going to use the coolant pump, then replace it with a single-phase pump.

Rewire the main motor for 220V three phase. Then purchase a 220V single phase in/220V three-phase out VFD and use that to power the main motor from your 220V single-phase power source. A good place to buy VFDs in the USA is here: Electric Motors | Motor Controls | VFD | AC Drive

Do as Peter suggests. If you are going to use the coolant pump, then replace it with a single-phase pump.

Rewire the main motor for 220V three phase. Then purchase a 220V single phase in/220V three-phase out VFD and use that to power the main motor from your 220V single-phase power source. A good place to buy VFDs in the USA is here: Electric Motors | Motor Controls | VFD | AC Drive

And if the OP has 120volts only use a single phase step-up transformer to 240 volts to power the VFD

Peter

Back