What's new
What's new

White elefant FP4 with Fanuc 260

Martin P

Titanium
From a Deckel sales brochure probably from 1/73.
Those must have been confusing days.

FP4Fanuclarge.jpg

Thought I had mentioned that in the past when I commented on the different versions of FP4NCs.
--
Arno

Input

Hello!

Back in the days when dino's roamed the world, there was no computer!:willy_nilly:
The input was done by paperstripes with holes in it, that was the sales brochure is telling you, oh btw you had 10 tool corrections!:Yawn:

Sorry, didn't want to look like an smart ass!:D

Klaus

The input was done by paperstripes with holes in it, that was the sales brochure is telling you, oh btw you had 10 tool corrections!

Yes - I remember those days. When I started as an apprentice we still had 4 or 5 machines that all ran on tape. We used to have to write our own tapes using a "Flex O Writer". God help you if you made a typing error. You had to punch holes all across that line and start over.

The big change is when we went from paper to mylar tape.

We had a Cinci 225 and 228. Two Hydrotel's and a Cinnamatic.

Those were the days eh?

I worked at the second computer store in the US (itty bitty machine company) when I was in high school. That would be around 1976. You could get Microsoft Basic on paper tape in those days and it was a big roll. One of the "cool new things" we got in was an optoelectronic paper tape reader that was really fast. You would mount the spool of tape on a machine that was kind of like a hand cranked movie projector and wind the tape onto another reel.

Alternately, you could run out the door and down the block with one end of the tape in your hand ... that was kind of fun except you then had to re-reel the tape ...

Cassette tape seemed like a revolution after that until the 8" floopy drives showed up (256k bytes of storage if I remember correctly). I had the coolest 8" drives - they had voice coil heads. The first hard disk I encountered was made by Xerox and had 3 Megabytes of storage, which seemed like an amazing amount.

It is amazing how fast the world of computation and storage has moved forward.

Cheers,
Bob Welland

Back