What's new
What's new

Will current model Heidenhain DRO's run just fine on 240 volt input ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike the old days where there was a switch to change from 120 to 240, now the input is just 100-240 volts, 50/60 cycles.... with no switch. But then I worry they mean European 240 volts, not USA 240 volts...which might be different. In other words, USA 120 volts is 120 on positive as measured either neutral to positive or ground to positive.

But USA 240 volts is two positive at 120 each for 240 between... or 120 as measured from ground to each positive.

I envision European 240 as more like USA 120 however.... is it ?

Bottom line - In USA, can you safely power an ND780 DRO via two of the 3 phase 240 volt lines ?

Funny, since posting here, I have talked with techs at both ATech and Heidenhain about this and all I can get is it "should" be fine with USA 240 volts.....nothing absolutely definitive on it. I don't want to hear "should"...I want to hear "absolutely, we have done it here for years, no problem" :ill:

As someone who has done 3 full household moves each way over the atlantic, I can assure you that you can just plug it in if it is of that spec. I learned to appreciate those switched power supplies and only buy appliances that have them if possible, for future moves. In the old days you had to get all new stuff, very annoying. Now you can even use most TV's on both sides of the atlantic without hassles. In the old days you had to buy a special and expensive TV. Even the little chargers now work on both sides with just a plug adapter.

Turns out a moot point as the ex Activ Deckel FP2 already had live 120 VAC DRO power line hidden away in the pivot control arm attachment...probably originating from a little transformer in the big electrical cabinet.. Previous owner idiots cut it of course, but spliced a new one back in easy enough.

Back