What's new
What's new

2004 Mori Seiki CL2000BT Lathe - Prox Switch identification

holows88

Aluminum
Hey there savvy folks,

We just got a Mori Seiki lathe in the shop, working on getting it all set up to run! We've got a bar feeder all lined up, but there's a prox switch (based on the bar feeder installer's info, which may or may not be reliable) on the end of the machine that's causing us some trouble, as it's burned out. Switch(?) has M12 thread, nut is an M18 hex. DMG Mori has been either unable or unwilling to identify it, so we're stuck at this point.

Any chance one of you can identify it and tell me where I can order it? Pictures attached for reference.

20190111_085836-min.jpg20190111_085816-min.jpg20190111_083958.jpg20190111_084006.jpg20190111_084204.jpg

Last edited:
Being Japanese, it's probably an Omron brand switch.

Either way, you should be able to find something from Automation Direct that will work. Prox switches are pretty standard parts. You'll need to know if it's a 2 wire or 3 wire. If it's a 3 wire, you'll need to know if it's PNP or NPN. PNP is most common in my experience, but I have seen both. If you don't know how to tell, you'll need to find an electrically savvy buddy to help you out.

Also, you may have to replace the whole wiring harness back to the terminal strip or wherever it goes. Sometimes the connection to the actual switch is proprietary.

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.
These switches are dictated (in part) by the chuck on the machine. As it is, I'm getting in touch with the chuck manufacturer (ATS Workholding), as the standard switches for the Kitagawa chuck that came with the machine are not the same. Hopefully tomorrow will yield better result!

So, Mori tells me these are the switches, just for future reference.

BES M12EN-PSC20B-BV05
Ordering Code: BES053A
Balluff Inductive Prox, 12 mm Dia, Normally Open DC PNP 10-36V, Flush, Prewired, 3 wire, 2 mm Range, 60 mm Long, Stainless Steel Housing, Plastic Face

BES 516-325-E4-C-PU-05
Ordering Code: BES00PE
Balluff Inductive sensor, M12, PNP, NO, flush mountable, 5 meter cable, PUR jacket, DC, 3 wire

Links to the switches below (in preview mode, so you can see I'm not trying to hustle you):
TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL
TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

Back