What's new
What's new

Anyone here have a Mori Seiki NVD1500 ? (compact VMC)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I'm always intrigued by what seems to be the ultimate of certain types of machines, especially small ones.... and the NVD1500 seems to be the ultimate "fits thru office door" VMC on the planet....or is it ? What say ye ?

The NVD1500 DCG offers the world's best quality for dies and molds, and precision parts - YouTube

compact-3-axis-cnc-vertical-machining-center-for-dies-and-molds-554097.jpg

Looks like a nice machine.

I say "looks like" because though Mori may build a nice machine, they build a sh**ty website. Just try to find out more about the machine by looking at the Mori corporate site or any of their country sites. I suppose they expect you to contact your "sales professional". That's the way the world worked - last millennium. Not this one though. Even a Google search within the site yields nothing more than work envelope and spindle speed.

In contrast 4 clicks of a mouse gets me full specifications of nearly any machine on DMG's site.

I recently became the custodian of two Mori NVD1500's. I've spent a little time on them now and must say that they can do finer work than any VMC I have previously operated. I use them in an academic setting to produce parts for student researchers. I did a job for one group that was a pocketing routine generated by Esprit. Cutting 6061 Al. with a 3/32" 2 flute carbide end mill cutting 2.5mm deep in one pass with a 70% stepover, the floor finish in the pocket was like a mirror. The overlapping passes were visible but it was very even and reflective. If I remember correctly, it was running 30,000 RPM at 30IPM. I did another job that was a wax mold for a .3 module gear. I was running a .010" 2 flute carbide .030" depth of cut to produce the teeth. Yeah I know that wax isn't very exciting but the level of detail and 40,000 spindle speed makes a lot of little stuff possible. 1 micron jog increment on the handwheel control. X and Y travel are just under 6" so not for bigger stuff for sure. The DCG design plus the massive castings make for a very smooth and stable machine. One problem we had on installation is the embedded GPS that required a Mori tech to unlock and authorize so we could run the machines.

Seriously? Embedded GPS that locks the machine? Does it lock if I move it to the other end of the plant??? That's just about the silliest thing I've ever heard of.

Seriously? Embedded GPS that locks the machine? Does it lock if I move it to the other end of the plant??? That's just about the silliest thing I've ever heard of.

Thank the folks that sold tech to the Iraqi's (Iranians?) suitable for building gas centrifuges for nuclear enrichment, and got fined almost back to the stone age for it. Now they track the 'capable' tech.

PITA, but if you want the machine, you gotta live with it.

Sweet little VMC.

Cheers
Trev

Topic is years old but wondering if any of the Mori NVD1500's have come up for sale since ?

Back