What's new
What's new

Anyone know origin of name "Maho" ?

I think its short for 2 surnames but I am at work now and my machine is at home. I have looked at the plate dozens of times but I can't recall it now...Meyer & xxx, maybe? Anyone else out there have their machine handy to look at?

Founded in 1920 by five partners, precision mechanics, Mayer,Hoermann, Nöß, Babel & Brunhöfner .
MAyer HOermann for MAHO GmbH (Ltd.) to manufacture precision draughting equipment (they may have left Haff to start their own).
In literature of the 50's the M of MAHO is formed by two overlapping compasses.
In 1963/64 Babel jr. had taken over sole control of the company. Very progressive fellow, met him while forking for the Machinery Exporter in Hamburg.
Arno

I agree with Arno.

I have a sheet with the names: "Mayr, Hormann & Cie, Ko" on it. It too has the logo with the dividers forming an "M" and Maho underneath, all in a cicle.

Arno, no disrespect: How did you know this? Do you also own a Maho machine?

I suspect you have a lot more knowledge packed away and I'd like to know more.-Jerald

Jerald, - as I mentioned I met the sole owner of MAHO in person when I was working for their Mexican Agency in the Hamburg, Germany HQ.
As I had mentioned in an other thread, my colleague in the same office always used to say "... if we only had a pantograph, like Deckel, we could rally clean up."
In those days, MAHO mills were outselling Deckel 5 to 1 in Mexico.
BTW that colleagues secretary had apprenticed at MAHO as a typist clerk.

I have a MAHO 800 manual somewhere and wanted to scan it so everyone could see what you described. Couldn't find it so googled briefly getting the result of the other three names and the 1920 starting date.
I didn't know before that look up that Babel sr. was one of the original founders.
Arno

Arno- My pic is like a "blue line" dwg. and not all that clear.

From your post, should I assume Mexico might be a good place to look for parts? Might you have a source there I could contact?

I am not in need of parts, but the day will come when I, or others will. I certainly good use a proper over arm support and horiz. arbor.....maybe a shaper head, vise and all the rest of the toys.

I really like my Maho and at the price these sell for, find them to be a good value.-Jerald

Back