What's new
What's new

Calbrating Laser Toolsetter DMG DMC103V SIemens 840D

markp

Hot Rolled
My 2000 DMG 103V with 840D control has a laser tool setter that works ok but can't measure the length of tools .125" and under due to misalignment in the Y plane. Been that way since I got it with only 180 spindle hours on it. Its very accurate in measuring tool length on anything larger than that. According to the manual, the calibration function is "M92 The light barrier is calibrated by command M92 (L,D,1), specifying the Length (L) and diameter (D) of the calibration tool and the code numeral "1" for the reference arbor (tool measurement).

This is an older laser system with the laser and receiver at the very ends of the table in X. Ive seen a few photos online with DMC 103V or DMC 63V machines with these tool setters. Anyone calibrated a laser like this on a DMG machine with 840D?

Basically, Im wondering if the D value is just a random number and any gage pin with a known diameter will work? I assume that the (L) value is the distance from the tool tip to the spindle face as thats what is automatically entered into the tool table when the laser measures a tool.

Attachments

• setter.jpg
    setter.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 18
For a later BLUM laser, on a Heidenhain controlled DMU60 (in other words everything different) there is a tool that comes with the laser which is not very special (quite similar to one Mari sells to calibrate haas tool probes) - BUT it is etched with it's gauge length, cylinder height, diameter, etc. down to the micron (or more.)

And the machine has calibration routine, which I presume reads data about that tool (maybe out of the tool table on the HH) and does the calibration.

So for you, I would *think* that so long as you know the gauge Length L (I presume it's gauge length) and Diameter (use a gauge pin?), it would work. But maybe try to find where it stores the data from calibration and save that away?

[That's all probably not very helpful, sorry.]

I think you're probably correct. I tried calling DMG support and they weren't interested in finding a tech to answer any questions about the toolsetter. They didn't even admit to knowing they had ever installed that type of toolsetter on their machines!

Id just hate to run a calibration cycle and make the toolsetter unusable.

I hear you.

One presumes that somewhere in the settings array for the machine are the values that M92 sets. The problem may be finding them, so you can save them. And finding the magic codewords to let you reset them.

Good luck.

Back