What's new
What's new

Confused about lineup

JMillar

Aluminum
Browsing machines, drooling over stuff I'd buy if I won a particularly large lottery...

I'm very confused about DMG Mori's machines. Turn-Mill for instance. They list 3 lines: CTX, NTX and NT. Does the NT even exist anymore? I got the impression that was their old generation, to be retired. If so, why is it still there? (Globally, I checked different countries' websites)

And is the ctx the "budget" version? Or are they just "different"? Does the ctx come from the dmg heritage and the nt(x) from Mori?

I think CTX was a style of lathe for DMG for some time. CTXEco is the "value" version of the same lathe - very similar to the German lathe (a few diffs) but made in PRC or Poland (I have a CTX Eco) CTX Eco is "budget" but seems to me that CTX might or might not be.

NT was the Mori Lathe with b-axis head.

Not sure the origin of NTX.

Things won't go away if customers want them....

Ok, cool. As far as I know the x suffix is just the next generation - and they mostly existed as mori seiki prior to the merge.

I wish it was easier to find data on machines on builders' websites, but I suppose they don't care too much about tire kickers and would rather start a dialog with anyone serious so they can start applying sales pressure.

Isent the NT still the best? And the ntx a newer cheaper machine? I have some years in NT's :) really fun machine to play with :)

Sent fra min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

Browsing machines, drooling over stuff I'd buy if I won a particularly large lottery...

I'm very confused about DMG Mori's machines. Turn-Mill for instance. They list 3 lines: CTX, NTX and NT. Does the NT even exist anymore? I got the impression that was their old generation, to be retired. If so, why is it still there? (Globally, I checked different countries' websites)

And is the ctx the "budget" version? Or are they just "different"? Does the ctx come from the dmg heritage and the nt(x) from Mori?

I could go more in depth. But In short, all of these machines existed before the merger. Both companies were/are on the cutting edge of small/medium mill turns.

So each company had a few models to cover a a few areas.

The Ctx beta tc= DMG smaller entry level,Iron bed, Graziano(except 2000 is old gamma, mineral cast bed)

CTX GammaTC = DMG larger top class, mineral cast bed, Bielefeld

NTX= Mori smaller iron 3 point bed(still over 33k lbs.), more compact, minimal foundation needed, target market= medical etc.

NT= Mori Large heavy Iron bed, Box in Box concept same as ntx but more profound, will need a decent foundation.

DMG CTX TC = Seimens

Mori NT/NTX = Fanuc

CTX existed in the Gildemeister lineup. The packaging is different now but the specs are not that different.
NTX: Bed/ways.
CTX: Linear ways.
Over here you can get Siemens or Heidenhain on NTX too.

CTX existed in the Gildemeister lineup. The packaging is different now but the specs are not that different.
NTX: Bed/ways.
CTX: Linear ways.
Over here you can get Siemens or Heidenhain on NTX too.

I think you are confusing the NLX with the NTX.

The NTX has roller ways.

I was told you could get Seimens or Heidenhain on Mori Machines in the USA.

I know they are more or less one company now, but when I say Mori I mean the Japanese machines built in Japan.I mean if you put a porsche badge on a honda it does not make it a porsche.

But was advised not to, because a departure from the standard oem speced control might give less desirable results.

At least on a 5 axis Machine. Maybe not a problem on a 3 or or 4 axis turning center, especially if they (Mori/Japan) have seat time doing many for the european market.

The Seimens seems better than the Fanuc. But I really don't know.Like anything else, probably pros and cons to both.

Perhaps since there is some overlap in the line they use the control as a tie breaker.A shop with Fanucs already, will probably sway that direction and vise versa, with other aspects being fairly equal.

I think with their Celos they are trying to mitigate control differences, and the fact that most customers will be be using some kind of CAM will also put a buffer between the control.

yzfr1pwr: Yes, you're right, I meant NLX. I don't know why I wrote NTX.
I have not run the Siemens control myself, but I got a demonstration and it seemed ok. Not as easy as Mazatrol, but I am pretty sure I could get used to it.

The Japanese built NT is the only model worth considering. Be prepared to pour a foundation if you want accurate results long term. The NTX is a newer, cheaper design that has some short comings. Take a close look at the lower turret design.

I am looking for people who have NTX machines 5 axis turn milling machines Japan Made but sold under DMG Mori. Especially NTX2500 NTX3000.

Back