Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear you're ok from the accident. Those sort of things can certainly give one a different perspective. Excited to see new posts. I look in from time to time to see if there are any updates. Your attachments in the post earlier today aren't showing up for some reason.

Can't wait to hear more about the Heidenhain upgrade. HSK100! What a beast. Excited for you.

I use a Haako FR-300 for desoldering with a few of their different tips. Works like a champ.

2. Likes Nerv liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    Can't wait to hear more about the Heidenhain upgrade. HSK100! What a beast. Excited for you.
    Thanks, it all comes down to time and money now. With all the varied forms of tasks I do I have been known to redirect funds for tools almost constantly which makes it harder to make the big purchases like a replacement Heidenhain control. The design of the MC800H spindle is such that there isn't much of a drawback swapping out the nose after the machine is completely together and has been running, so that mod will be less of a priority than the control. Taking the magazine chain off the ATC and taking it all apart for the different tooling taper will be a huge job though. Getting new chain "holders" made will cost me a a bit in time and material too... all 120 of them.

20190521_031009.jpg

This is made from turned steel bar, over 3.5" diameter! The portion that "grabs" the pull stud to hold the tool comes out and is retained by an internal snap ring. I'll have to come up with a whole different solution for HSK but at least I can reuse all these steel parts and just cut out the inside to suit the larger taper. These are sized to be able to be machined for Cat50 so there is plenty of meat to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    I use a Haako FR-300 for desoldering with a few of their different tips. Works like a champ.
    As mentioned above about always spending money on tools ... these units aren't cheap but then again I don't want anything cheap anymore anyway. I was looking at the higher wattage FR-410 which has a separate vac station with suction display but that gets quite pricy... Have you ever found the FR-300 to run out of heat for desoldering larger bulk caps or anything like that? I usually do a bunch of soldering in spurts and then not do much electronics work for a few months. From what I've been reading I think the FR-301 might be the best balance of quality and cost for where I'm at. Thank you very much for putting me onto these guys, your positive review on their products means more to me than their ads or questionable reviews on sellers sites.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't own a Maho, but I admire your perseverence.
    This is quite a feat you're attempting and I would like to see the completion.