vintage MORI SEIKI AL2-BTM

• Thread starter Papy Oliver
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 9,877
P

Papy Oliver

Hi !

On my vintage MORI SEIKI AL2-BTM n° n°324 of 1985 + FANUC 10TE, in MDI mode, if I send the order M42, and then G97 S1500 M03, the red light ER1 at the top right of themachine panel and the red light under the emergency stop are lighting, but the spindle does not move. Should somebody explain to me which are these alarms and how to solve them ?

IMG_0035-D2.jpg

Best regards

Thank You for your help.

Yes, I can shift into 2nd, into 1st or into Neutral gear manually with the gear selector switch, in "hand" mode.
Yes, the chuck is clamped .

More information about this problem :
I try to restart this vintage which was not used during nine years. (I bought it on year ago). As I don’t have any Mori Seiki user’s manual, it’s little bit difficult…

I compared parameters between this machine n°324 and a more recent AL2 n°4026 : there are some differences, but seems conform to Fanuc definitions. Same thing for Keep Relay, Timer et Counter.

in MDI or EDIT or PROG, when 1° or 2nd is shifted , if I push the NOR button (bottom right of panel), the spindle turns at constant speed of 60 rpm (which is the value of the parameter 5617 “spindle speed during spindle orientation”).If I release the button, the spindle stops.

Note that when the NOR button is pushed, the spindle continue to turns at constant speed of 60 rpm when I select manual mode.

In MDI or EDIT or PROG, if I push the REV button, nothing happens…

Best regards.:rolleyes5:

I have never used a 10T before, but on my old Fanucs if you put all that stuff in one line it won't work.

Have you tried it with the M03 on it's own line?

Does the spindle run in handle mode?

Thank You for your help.

Yes, I can shift into 2nd, into 1st or into Neutral gear manually with the gear selector switch, in "hand" mode.
Yes, the chuck is clamped .

More information about this problem :
I try to restart this vintage which was not used during nine years. (I bought it on year ago). As I don’t have any Mori Seiki user’s manual, it’s little bit difficult…

I compared parameters between this machine n°324 and a more recent AL2 n°4026 : there are some differences, but seems conform to Fanuc definitions. Same thing for Keep Relay, Timer et Counter.

in MDI or EDIT or PROG, when 1° or 2nd is shifted , if I push the NOR button (bottom right of panel), the spindle turns at constant speed of 60 rpm (which is the value of the parameter 5617 “spindle speed during spindle orientation”).If I release the button, the spindle stops.

Note that when the NOR button is pushed, the spindle continue to turns at constant speed of 60 rpm when I select manual mode.

In MDI or EDIT or PROG, if I push the REV button, nothing happens…

Best regards.:rolleyes5:

On my Mori Seiki with a Fanuc 11T, that's normal - it rotates slowly while the button is pressed in MDI/EDIT/MEM, but will rotate continuously with one button press in JOG/RPD or the MPG mode, with the speed controlled by the pot next to the NOR/REV buttons.

Thanks to everybody !

I tried with G97 alone in a block, then S1500 alone and then M03 alone, but the result is the same...

Should somebody explain to me what does mean the red light near the feed symbol, under the emergency stop, and in which condition is it lighting ?

Also, which is the fonction of the red button just under this light ?

That's the feed hold or slide hold button. It stops the motion of the machine until you push the cycle start button again.

Is this the only NC lathe you've ever run?

The chuck grip light isn't on in your picture. Could be not working? Or could be closed but on internal grip? My guess is what it's doing is jogging at 60rpm, could be your not actually turning the spindle on but it's a jog button? The way I remember it you (if an interlock was not preventing from operating) you just push the spindle FW or REV button then controlled the the rpm with the dail.

These button should not work in EDIT MDI or PROG mode.

I think what people are trying to say is you can't enter in as a one line command. Push the reset button, manually put it in 2nd gear, then try in MDI mode the following.

G97 "INPUT" button
S1500 "INPUT"
M3 "INPUT"
EOB "input"

Close the door then hit the green start button. The one up by the number pad on the control.

Can you post a clear picture of the whole control panel?

Brent

Thank you Brent,

I already run lathes and milling centers, with CN Allen Bradley, General Electric, Fanuc 5, Fanuc 6, Fanuc Oi, Philips etc, but there was more than fifteen years years ago! Ernault, Warner-Swassey, Ikegay, Hardinge, Mazak, but never of Mori Seiki Mori Seiki…

I point out that I bought this turn one year ago and I never used it. Simply I try to start again it. It seems that it was in good condition when he was stopped, but I am not certain.

I checked that the chuck was tight. The lamp is not visible on this photograph, but it is well lit. I also reversed the direction of tightening (interior tightening instead of external tightening), but without result. I also carried out the test as you propose : manually put in 2nd gear, then try in MDI mode the line : G97 "INPUT"S1500 "INPUT" M3 "INPUT" EOB "input", and then close the door then hit the green start button just under the number pad. But without result.

IMG_0035-C.JPG

I think that if the Fanuc spindle variator board is failing, the NC would announce an error, but the Fanuc does not announce any error… The error is announced by the lamp ER1 of the Mori Seiki control panel. May be a problem with parameter? May be a problem with the spindle motor ?

:willy_nilly:

Yes, on the picture above, tailstock interlock is on, and in manual mode.

I made test with tailstock interlock off in manual mode,
but that does not solve the problem.

I can not make tests with tailstock in automatic mode because I do not know the M codes to operate it !!!

Ah!! I Need Mori AL2 operators manual...
So only I knew the type of error according to the tape symbol !!! IMG_0035-détail E.JPG

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Yes you do need a manual. I would also be interested what the "PST button" function was for?

But until then M0 through M9 are pretty much standard but IIRC?

M10 & M11 worked the chuck.

M12 & M13 worked tailstock quill.

M14 & M15 turret rotation directions.

Shouldn't hurt anything to try.

Brent

Thank You, Brent !

I tried M10 & M11 are OK, M12 & M13 are OK, but M14 & M15 do not operate correctly.

I found an owner of AL2-BTM a little more recent than mine. He has the Mori handbook, and he agrees to help me. I will meet him asap!

The PST button is in relation with the PSM button. They are used for automatic tool offset setting. The arm must be placed manualy. The PSM button activate the setting arm, and the PST button is used to set the active tool offset.

:hole:

Thank You, Brent !

I tried M10 & M11 are OK, M12 & M13 are OK, but M14 & M15 do not operate correctly.

I found an owner of AL2-BTM a little more recent than mine. He has the Mori handbook, and he agrees to help me. I will meet him asap!

The PST button is in relation with the PSM button. They are used for automatic tool offset setting. The arm must be placed manualy. The PSM button activate the setting arm, and the PST button is used to set the active tool offset.

:hole:

For the record :
I gave a call to Papy Olivier a couple of days ago, as I was having the exact same problem as he did.
The bad news is he got out of the chipmaking activity and parted with his machines.
The good news is his AL2 got sorted, as well as mine now as well.
The alarm came from the end of travel proximity switches on the chuck clamp cylinder.
Maybe this will be useful for somebody, some day.
denis

Back