What's new
What's new

DMG 80 5 Axis Tilting Head: Can someone explain CYCLE 800?

CNC_Chip_Thin

Plastic
Hey all,

I've been working with a few DMG 5 axis tilting head machines made between 2009 and 2018. This is my first experience with DMG as well as a tilting head rather than a trunnion style. Having worked with Siemens control's from the 90's, it seems they've come along way with the Siemens/CELOS control on these machine's. I don't have access to the machine manual's. I've asked a bit around here and nobody seems to be able to explain the function of CYCLE 800 or they aren't willing to share it.

So I guess the question's I'm trying to ask are...

What is CYCLE 800?
How is it's function applied to the machine?
Does it apply only to tilting head machine's?
When would it be used?
When wouldn't it be used?

I come from Mazak, Haas, Okuma, and Fanuc controls so I'm in uncharted territory here. Just trying to get a better understanding of what I'm working with. Any and all replies are welcome!

Heidenhain calls it something else. Google "siemens cycle 800" finds this:
CYCLE800 - Swiveling | Tutorials, Tips, Tricks (Milling) | Siemens Global

The key thing here is that it's intended for 3+2 machinging. That is, you move a couple of axis (typically 2 rotary axises - either both axises on a trunnion or a B-head + rotary table on DMU style machine.) After rotation, the controller treats this new (rotated) condition as XYZ home. So the X, Y, and Z axises rotate with the head/table.

Example - on my iTNC530 machine the comparable (but different name command) can be used to do "L B-90" which tilts the head over 90° - in effect making the machine a sort of horizontal. A Z move will now actually move in X, but the effect is to move a tool in/out (logical up/down) from the face of the work.

However, getting the machine moved, the axises moved with it, the probe aligned with it, and so forth has details required - you really ought to find a manual.

Heidenhain has manuals online, don't know about Siemens.

Hey all,

I've been working with a few DMG 5 axis tilting head machines made between 2009 and 2018. This is my first experience with DMG as well as a tilting head rather than a trunnion style. Having worked with Siemens control's from the 90's, it seems they've come along way with the Siemens/CELOS control on these machine's. I don't have access to the machine manual's. I've asked a bit around here and nobody seems to be able to explain the function of CYCLE 800 or they aren't willing to share it.

So I guess the question's I'm trying to ask are...

What is CYCLE 800?
How is it's function applied to the machine?
Does it apply only to tilting head machine's?
When would it be used?
When wouldn't it be used?

I come from Mazak, Haas, Okuma, and Fanuc controls so I'm in uncharted territory here. Just trying to get a better understanding of what I'm working with. Any and all replies are welcome!

Can't help with your question as my 5ax experience is only with Fanuc.

However, I'm curious what kind of environment you're working in that the manuals are not made available to you??

You mention CELOS, in which case the manuals should be available to view and search on the control, in the documents app.

@pcasanova I'll be following that page from now on, appreciate the suggestion

@bryan_machine That was the kind of reply I was hoping for! I find it hard to believe nobody else could explain it's basic function.

@gregormarwick It certainly is an interesting environment here. I will look into the documents app and see if I can find manual's there

Back