What's new
What's new

DMG CTX 310 eco

GazMann

Plastic
Hi first post here.

I have just been offered a good deal on a new DMG CTX 310 eco with a Mori mapps iv control, and wanted to know what peoples thoughts and experiences with this machine is.
The lathe will be used in a university environment by trained operators (not students) machining a variety of materials and mainly one of items. I am wanting to know how easy the machine is to setup and run.

Thanks in advance

Gday, my first post here too.

You've prob made a decision already, but I'll put my two cents in.
I'm new to MAPPS IV myself (we just bought an NZ2000), but have been a machinist for years. Mazatrol, Fanuc and Okuma are what I'm used to.
If you don't want to spend the time making up all the tool models for the 3D Interference checking (which wouldn't be a huge concern on a basic lathe like this), then "one off" setups can be quite quick.
If you know ISO programming, in conjunction with the MAPPS, you'll be cutting metal in no time at all.
I can't comment on DMG machines themselves though, no experience there.

Soon...

I have just received a DMG CTX 310 ECO and will have it up and running next week. Let you know what I think after it pulls a chip.

I think I got the same deal. Not sure if it was the right decision yet. The Siemens 810D is not a Fanuc. That much I know for sure. Slowly getting up to speed with the HMI. Not going to make a judgement yet, but I have a first impression:angry:. The spindle is very quiet and the Sauter turret seems solid and reliable (even if it does have a strange way of locking after the index). My machine has the PCU_20 software which we are struggling to plumb into the windows seven ethernet environment. We have had a few nagging drawbar proximity switch problems- maybe something in the parameters...

DMG service has been lacking. They still have an opportunity to make things right, so I am just going to bite my tongue for now.

:cheers:

I'm in Australia so unlikely to be the same deal. Our dealer is a Mori Seiki agent so he is pushing the MAPPS IV controller for support reasons. Still waiting for the machine to be delivered.

Operating Instructions in Russian for DMG CTX 310 eco

Hey guys,

I'm searching for the Operating Instructions (Manual) in Russian for the DMG machine CTX 310 eco! Please, write at: [email protected], if you know where I can download it from.

Thanks in advance!

Ctx310

Lowdown,
Is the reason that you want to connect to the ethernet because you want to upload and download programs? If so, you can take the two bolts out of the top of the controller and the screen will tilt out toward you and there is a place for a PCMCIA card slot right behind the screen.

Ctx 310 eco

Nomgis,

Thanks for that. The PCMCIA card is the hot ticket for parameters backup. I finally did get the PCU20 to speak to my Windows 7 ethernet network if anybody out there fighting that battling. I will never go back to RS-232. Ping me if you would like the recipe.

Anybody with a Siemens 810D (840 is likely the same) know the 'grid shift' procedure for use with DMG and absolute encoders? I have done it once, but it was not at all intuitive, and I have misplaced my notes and memories.

On that note, anybody have a CTX310ECO or CTX510ECO who is having problems with the way the machine was setup. Metric/Inch conversion errors, graphics scaling problems, default values and such.

Nomgis,

Thanks for that. The PCMCIA card is the hot ticket for parameters backup. I finally did get the PCU20 to speak to my Windows 7 ethernet network if anybody out there fighting that battling. I will never go back to RS-232. Ping me if you would like the recipe.

Anybody with a Siemens 810D (840 is likely the same) know the 'grid shift' procedure for use with DMG and absolute encoders? I have done it once, but it was not at all intuitive, and I have misplaced my notes and memories.

On that note, anybody have a CTX310ECO or CTX510ECO who is having problems with the way the machine was setup. Metric/Inch conversion errors, graphics scaling problems, default values and such.
Any help with networking would be much appreciated

I have a CTX410 I love it. I have worked with a lot of lathes and these sweet units take the cake.

I cut circles around the Mori's. In our shop we work with micron tolerances, interrupted cuts and a variety of sizes. The integrated direct driven spindles work so much better than the belt driven units. Faster ramp up in RPMs, less shadowing cutting over tooling holes, better torque curve for ripping off chunks from 9"dia down to 1"

The Fanuc 32i is the better control out of the three. Easy to find someone familiar with Fanuc. Siemens are nice powerful controls with some cool features but hard to find employees, 2x that for the Hiedenhein. I don't like the Hiedenhein controls at all. I am a G code programmer from the beginning. I know cad/cam softwares and can post anything for the Hied. control I am not used to seeing RR and LR etc.

I have used the CTX310 in the past and I am not too keen the m/c coming out of the Graziano factory. too many little issues and not quite ballzy enough. The 410 is better option and from a better factory.

Krishan_n,

Hope you figured out your networking problem by now. Sorry I dropped the ball, got busy for a year or so and wasn't on PM much.

@SND,

The CTX310ECO is working well enough, I would avoid the Siemens control at all costs if I could do it again. The 810D has some cool features and could be an awesome control, but it isn't. Almost, but not there. I have no complaints with the motors and motion control, all top notch, but the interface is aggravatingly slow and could use some ease of use improvements. I think many programmers forget that a human will be using these applications every day for years... and attempting to making a living (or at least the payments) with them.

My problems are likely the result of the half-assed way DMG integrated the Siemens control into their product, error messages that don't make any sense (at all), CNC computer crashing, metric/inch scaling errors, etc..

I have a CTX410 I love it. I have worked with a lot of lathes and these sweet units take the cake.

I cut circles around the Mori's. In our shop we work with micron tolerances, interrupted cuts and a variety of sizes. The integrated direct driven spindles work so much better than the belt driven units. Faster ramp up in RPMs, less shadowing cutting over tooling holes, better torque curve for ripping off chunks from 9"dia down to 1"

The Fanuc 32i is the better control out of the three. Easy to find someone familiar with Fanuc. Siemens are nice powerful controls with some cool features but hard to find employees, 2x that for the Hiedenhein. I don't like the Hiedenhein controls at all. I am a G code programmer from the beginning. I know cad/cam softwares and can post anything for the Hied. control I am not used to seeing RR and LR etc.

I have used the CTX310 in the past and I am not too keen the m/c coming out of the Graziano factory. too many little issues and not quite ballzy enough. The 410 is better option and from a better factory.

Agreed. The DMG CTX line is awesome equipment and I would not hesitate to buy a DMG again. That said, I would not buy from their ECO line ever again, German brand, Italian design (Griaziano), Chinese construction, on a budget... I'll let you decide what that could mean. You can be sure the intellectual property that makes DMG machines so cool is safe in Germany and was never at risk in the ECO collaboration.:D

I'm about to buy a CTX 450 Ecoturn and a CTX510 eco, we basically work on motorbike crankshafts and turning means interrupted cut all day long.

Material is usually 18NiCrMo5, would you actually think the CTXs would be the right choice? I know the CTXs run on linear guides so I'm a little afraid they won't do the job.

Tolerances are about +/- 0.05mm (not micron tolerances at all).

Thanks for your reply!
M.

Inviato dal mio MI 5s Plus utilizzando Tapatalk

Back