What's new
What's new

DMG MORI NLX2500 - Electrical Requirements Help

erikreynolds

Plastic
Hey Folks,

We are looking to purchase our first "big" machine, a NLX 2500. We're fairly new to this and trying to figure out what we need in terms of power requirements.

We currently have 208Y120 200A service to our unit, which we're pretty heavily using with our existing Fadal VMC and Protrak Lathe, etc. We do not want to upgrade that existing service for a variety of uninteresting reasons, so we were initially planning on getting a second 200A 208v service to the building. This would be done by a licensed electrician and permitted / inspected.

As far as I can tell, the base machine in the configuration my head machinist wants is 37.92kVA which would indicate ~105amps. We have been using traditional GE load centers and breakers, and as far as I can tell, they do not make a three-pole breaker greatly than 100amp. I see in other threads for other machines many people talk about using 100amp breakers on more highly nameplated machines, but I would like to do it properly if at all possible.

Are there any other folks in a similar environment (i.e. 208v service)? Is there by chance any specific equipment setups or electrical panel brands we should be looking at instead? With our other smaller machines, we have a normal three-pole breaker feeding a disconnect box on or adjacent to the machine.

Basically I'm trying to figure out how we can most simply and safely feed power to the machine before we make a significant capital investment. Thanks for the advice!

-Erik

Im in the same boat and feel your pain. I am looking to add a mt2000 and the power requirements are taxing for My shop. To add to my problem I have to use phase convertors to run my shop now. i have a 400 amp service to my phase generation and a 200 amp for lights and other small tools, air compressor and sort. I would think that you are at a point similar to my problem you business has outgrown the power. i would guess from my experience that we both need to double our power to make these machines work properly (at least from my perspective manufacturing the 3rd phase). I run a Fadal,sl25,crankshaft grinder,cam grinder, and several other small loads, but rarely at the same time as it is just my son and myself in the shop.
I rambled on too much but my solution is to bite it and add on my machine cost/loan for proper electrical as to not have any control or drive problems. the fadals will pretty much run on anything (at least mine does) but my mori s25 is a little more fussy.

There is more to it than just having a breaker suitable for the machine. I had a turning center on a 200 amp panel with a 100a breaker. The machine didnt use 100a but when the spindle did ramp up and down there was enough power draw that it effected other machines. If you use a separate incoming line then you shouldnt see any issue with your existing equipment. But be careful of any other equipment you try to run on your new service.

Charles

Back