What's new
What's new

DMG users with Siemens control and laser toolsetter/tool breakage option how to use?

markp

Hot Rolled
I recently purchased a 2000 DMG DMU103V with Siemens 840D control. It has the laser tool measurement system installed with the options of tool breakage detection and tool measurement installed (according to the original receipts I found in the paperwork).

There is not any info in my siemens or DMG manuals on how to use this system which seems weird as I have two other machines (one a DMU50V) where tool setters are an option and their use is described in detail in the operator manual. I looked through the 840D manuals and see no reference at all to tool measurement cycles, either laser or contact type.

I did call DMG support but for some reason they refused to provide any information on how to use this system and didnt seem to even know what it was even though it was a DMG part at the time and a DMG service tech install and calibrated it....

I searched online for any photos of the same system and couldnt locate any or any mention of any system like this installed on a DMG machine. I see there is a program in "user cycles" directory but cant tell if its related.

Anyone have this system and know how to use it?

Attachments

• setter.jpg
    setter.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 91
I would export all the user and manufacturing cycles and use google translate and see if you can find anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He 840D most certainly does have probing function calls and high speed inputs on the NCU to take advantage of edge trigger inputs. Is this a Powerline series unit?

Finally got the old machine sold and this machine installed. Loaded the tool umbrella. I entered

M91
TXX
M6

If a tool is in the spindle, it activates the laser shutters, turns on the laser and moves the tool into the lasers path and up to the tip. "L=" is in green at the top of the screen. Then some other text pops up (too fast to read, have to make a video in slo mo)and the Z position number changes.

So apparently its collecting the data and writing it to the tool offsets. Still havent quite got a fix on how the tool offsets are handled/set so I cant tell if the numbers are good or not.

Looked at the laser a bit more, its setting the tool offset to the distance from the face of the spindle to the tool tip. I think it also sets the WCS in Z to zero at the spindle face because it changed that as well.

There is also a calibrate mode, M92. Do you normally set a reference tool as zero at the laser Z level using calibration then all your tools are referenced off of that tool?

Back