What's new
What's new

Do Indramat KDA 2.1 and 3.X interchange?

markp

Hot Rolled
Ive got a failed Indramat KDA 2.1 100 3 A00 W1 220 drive on my Maho MH600C. I see the Indramat KDA 3.X 100 3... drives are the same form factor, are much more common, and are a lot cheaper on ebay. Anyone know if these are a drop in replacement if I swap out my personality module?

Looking at the Indramat part number chart, it looks like they are identical other than the series/version #ers (3.X as opposed to 2.1). If anyone has successfully (or unsuccessfully) done this type of swap please let me know.

I remember talking to Karl (Maho Doctor) about this at one point. If I remember correctly it was fine to use newer (version # > 2.1) units but you could not go backwards as your 'personality module' could not be guaranteed to work with older units. This conversation was years ago so you might want to check with him or try to get another data point before purchasing.

Maho doctor wasnt sure about this. I called indramat and reached a tech who gave this info from his factory cross reference charts. Indramat KDA 3.2 will exchange with a KDA 2.1. You cant use your old AS31 module though.

This combination should work on a KDA 3.2: 3.2 Firmware kda 4vx.x firmware standard analog or the newer AS31 module would be MSP 1V2.2 FIRMWARE. This corresponds to an AS31 part number of R911230932 (on the newer MSP firmware). These AS31 modules will give you the correct motor/drive combination. Youll also need to make sure its analog with no encoder (A00) as well as the same amp rating. Might work if its an encoder enabled drive but maybe not the tech said.

I also had my tech measure the VAC/Inductron pulse transformer using a signal generator and a scope. These are 1:3 dual wound transformers with 94.2 ohms @ 10khz. I tried multiple times to contact both VAC and Inductron in germany with no luck. VAC lists in-stock transformers on their site, but none that are close enough. I bought a KDA 3.2 drive for 250 on ebay with no AS31 mod. Im hoping it uses the same pulse transformers on the TTS3 board...

I remember my KDA came with removed pulse transformers, and custom made replacements not inserted. I were told they were hugely expensive because they had to be custom made.

If you need a low number of custom signal transformers I would try Lundahl in Sweden (www.lundahl.se). He does custom transformers for audio mostly, but will be able to do this kind of transformers. And he is used to make small batches, so he's not hugely expensive because of low production numbers.
I don't have connection to this company, I only know of them from using their products. But they (or him really) has a reputation for making very good quality products.

That is if you need the transformers only.

Thanks for the reference. I ended up finding a KDA 3.2 with the correct AS31 module firmware. It should be here this week and it was only 300$ so probably cheaper than new transformers. Hopefully its a drop in replacement as the indramat engineer indicated! If not, Ill give this guy a call. (I did get another damaged kda 3.2 for parts hoping the transformers were the same but they are different than the 2.1).

Well, I did get around to installing the KDA 3.2 Drive. I was able to get the parameters from Indramat. This is important as there are more parameters in the 3.2 drives than the 2.1. I was advised by Indramat to use the default parameters for the extra entries. These drives have A, P, Q, R, S and M parameters. Each of these is a list that needs to be entered into the memory of the AS31 module on the upper right of the drive. Pretty easy to do. I was able to get all the parameters entered correctly except for the M02 parameter. This is the feedback type parameter. It turns out that the newer KDA 3.2 drives do not support the older encoder that is on my 88-89 vintage spindle motor. It gives either a DISABLED error or a FEEDBACK error. So the swap might work with a newer encoder.

However, I was recently able to locate a VAC Pulse transformer that has the same characteristics as the melted Inductron pulse transformer on my KDA 2.1. I replaced the pulse transformer and the cap that shorted on the old KDA 2.1 drive and now the drive works again!

I got a new to me DMG DMU50V so I will be selling this one locally on Clist soon...

Hi markp, was reading your post and was wondering if you still have the parameters available for the indramat KDA 3.2 drive. Mine appears to have lost its parameters so any help would be appreciated. Regards
Adam

Back