What's new
What's new

HT23SII Lathe - X axis drops at power down

colton_m

Aluminum
Hello everyone,

I need some suggestions on how to fix an issue with a Hitachi Seiki lathe. Here's some background info:

The machine is a 1992 HITEC-TURN 23SII. It sat for 3 years with no operation until last weekend, I turned it on, ran the spindle and moved the axis around. Everything worked fine. Next, I moved the machine about 100 feet on roller skates to a new location in the shop, I re-hooked the power and did a complete leveling of the machine. This is where the problem started, the X-axis began making a bad squeaking / grinding sound when moving it even 0.02". I sprayed three squeezes of WD-40 into the clutch at the top of the X-axis ball screw and the sound went away, everything buttery smooth again. I then proceeded to clean the machine for about two hours. Then I went to go home, I pressed e-stop and then power off. Then BAM, the turret fell straight down and landed on the tailstock. I was able to re-engage the clutch manually and use the lathe after that, but again, as soon as I pressed power off. BAM (this time only fell 1/8") because I left the turret low on purpose.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Back