What's new
What's new

Latest Maho acquisition (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1990 with Phillips 432 control, from RJ Reynolds shop.

I've got a Maho brochure from the same era what concerns the "W" series and the curiosity is that the MH 500 W4 model appears nearly identical to this MH 500 E2...same iron, same control, same control features, same everything as best I can tell.

Anyone know the difference ? Or were the Maho model moniker gurus drinking from the same keg as the late 1980's Deckel FP4A/NC/M/MK name slappers ? :confused:

maho20.jpg

maho21.jpg

Notice how Maho integrated their servo motors so well into the machine that you don't even see them...unlike the NC Deckels with motors hangin off everywhere

[ 10-21-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: D. Thomas ]

Don:
Nice looking machine. Don't know about the numbering.

"Notice how Maho integrated their servo motors so well into the machine that you don't even see them...unlike the NC Deckels with motors hangin off everywhere"

Well i wouldn't exactly call it intergrated. Looks to me like Maho just wrapped everything in oversize sheetmetal. As for a Deckel having servos hanging off everywhere....the "X" is the only servo that hangs out. The "Z" is completely covered in the trim and tidy colom pannels, and the "Y" servo is neatly tucked below the "Y" ram. If Deckel had wanted to make their machine look like an over weight refrigerator, they could have easily covered the "Y" servo in an unglainly oversize box...Glad they had a better sense of style. I for one like the induatrial effect having the exposed finned servo exposed to view and cooling air circulation. (sort of like the finned supercharger manifould on an Alfa P-3) There are too many mill-a-boxes in the world. I like the distinct Deckel profile of the older CNC machines.....just my stupid opinion of course.

Cheers Ross

I ~knew~ that'd smoke you out Ross !

maho22.jpg

Note the futher "neat as a pin" design at the rear

What I am curious about is what is that gray machine in the background of the last picture? Some horizontal spindle of some kind, but I just cant make it out. Are these pictures of your new building Don or are these pictures from the mills old home?

By the way is the "stand" behind the Maho a tool holder for the mill?

Charles

In background Brown and Sharp horizontal mill, pictures taken at RJ Reynolds, yes tool holder stand...cabinet behind it contains about 50 nearly new toolholders with Maho pullstuds

Yea I see the little handles on the side in the last photo. Does the little light come on when you open it up so you can find your leftover ham sandwich and a beer? Too bad they didn't buy all their paint from the same manfacturer so all the green would match. Oh well, when you are number 2 i guess you take what you can get! It takes more than sheet metal a machine to make.
Seriously Don, you going to keep that one or sell her?
Cheers Ross

Don: Just some obsurvations on the two machines. The E2 has the handles on the cabiner for ?? The W4 has no handles, but it has a coner in the sheetmetal on the side possibly to cover the shaft out for a handwheel or a lift point. This is not on the E2. Also there is some difference in the control mounting and the base of the two along with some difference in the spindle drive setup. If thoes machines were not so shrouded with sheet metal we could see other important features !
Cheers Ross

Yea I see the little handles on the side in the last photo. Does the little light come on when you open it up so you can find your leftover ham sandwich and a beer?
.....you'd have it stocked with Becks in case Mr. DMG stops in ?

Re "no. 2", based on what I've seen in shops over the years, my impression is Maho had much higher sales, much more varied number of models, and produced more elaborate machines than Deckel did, from about the mid 1980's until they all merged.

Re keep or sell..sell, but don't get excited as price will be too high for you cheapskates ;)

Back