What's new
What's new

Maho 700C... a beautiful nightmare....

That seems to be the original paint or an amazingly good repaint job. If original paint, the machine would must have truly low hours. That's a sign the control sucked from Day One - no one wanted to use it. Too bad. The mechanical look gorgeous (but I don't mean aesthetically).

WTH is that control anyway?
Seems to be really ancient Phillips NC (yes "NC" not "CNC") control. Utterly worthless except for museum possibilities. Sure is an amazingly nice looking 700C though...cleanest one I've ever seen. Would be fascinating to hear it run since if spindle and all axis were like new it might be one of the few machines of this nature worth the extreme hassle of a retrofit.... if it could be bought for what the seller paid anyway, which was probably $850.

the control is a 6600 or 3300 i think. i saw a few when researching my machine. its cnc, not nc. just had no graphic display.
the machine looks very clean, but that may be deceptive. they wear on the paint shows its been used a fair bit. price is high for something that likely needs every piece of electrical replaced with something more modern.

the control is nearly the same as I have. MH700C with dead Philips 6600 controls.
these are very ancient and no spares available.
the mill has some nice options, but without a functional control it's scrap.
the Philips 6600 can only control two axis at the same time, so you can't take fulladvantages B-axis.
the machine must be over 25 years by now, making the controls and sensor quiet unreliable.
asking $20 K is way over the top.

Bertus
Bertus

the Philips 6600 can only control two axis at the same time, so you can't take fulladvantages B-axis.
the machine must be over 25 years by now, making the controls and sensor quiet unreliable.
asking $20 K is way over the top
More like over 32 years by now.

That statement makes no sense whatsoever...my impression is the polar opposite of that, and I'm usually better than most at spotting repaint jobs.

i want implying a replaint, i was implying that its been cleaned up, which makes it seem alot less "used" than it may really be. i washed alot of the outer panels on my machine and alot of its got that "looks almost new" appearance under the filth.

really doesnt matter though, the price is too out there.

i want implying a replaint, i was implying that its been cleaned up, which makes it seem alot less "used" than it may really be. i washed alot of the outer panels on my machine and alot of its got that "looks almost new" appearance under the filth.
Well used machines tend to look bad even after clean up, esp in certain areas.

I got to say, why state "rare" ? It's not like rarity is a selling point for people buying a machine tool to make chips, quite the opposite .

I got to say, why state "rare" ? It's not like rarity is a selling point for people buying a machine tool to make chips, quite the opposite .
Sometimes "rare" matters and sometimes it doesn't. It is a selling point if the machine is highly desirable by many people, but unfortunately so many sellers have abused the term that it has become meaningless in most eBay ads.

I'm surprised the seller left out "vintage" in the title. :rolleyes5:
Of course it's obvious anything the seller says in this case is meaningless, since, if he had any experience in these matters he would never have bought the machine in the first place, much less try and sell it for ten times what it's worth.

An example of a case where "rare" would get me excited would be something along the lines of the Abene VHF-3 with the quill option. In that case, it would be rare, and desirable (for me, maybe not for many).

There is something tragic about that Maho.

Hi Guys!
Yes, that would be me. I am the proud owner of this thing... well, nightmare is a calculated risk here.
Looking at the basic capability of the Iron drug me in. Swing away vertical head with quill makes it a horizontal boring mill, power rotary table adds a nice twist, put on a horizontal index and the possibilities for the job shop are great.
I took it for $12,000.00 delivered. Shipping will consume about half of that.
Since I just stumbled over this post in my search... I may have done something else given this information.
However, the iron has possibilities I had never even imagined, I could be milling API ring gasket grooves in wellheads, align boring fair sized parts, doing the casual stuff..
I have seen a lot of jobs in my shop where my Bridgeport Series II Vertical manual was a darn lot of trouble to utilize. And I have never attempted anything horizontal on it.
I recently did a bucket link for an excavator and I had to make a 2 1/2" boring bar on flange bearings to pull the job. Ran as vertical.
Yes.. I am aware this could be a severe challenge. Tragic may well be the outcome.
But if I can bring her to life with modern controls, holy cow.
Now, as tragic as what I paid, I am a job shop. I may well bear the brunt of leaking off 5 or 6 grand, however, sometimes around here, that is the value of a couple days effort.
Usually followed by 90 days of $200.00 But if I can get her up, maybe I may have more wonderful days.
Seller is jumping through all the hoops for me, including shipping.
So, in preparation for the coming challenge, I am trying to decide what to do.
If Deckel Doctor can bring her up, I might just mail it to him.
If I could dig up info on the antiquated 6600 control, I might consider running some jobs with it, 2 axis at once may seem horrible to you guys, but could be workable.
Most jobs boil down to simple surfaces and bores around here... ( So far )
I am just going CNC. I bought a Clausing Storm 210/200 should be on the floor in a couple days. This mill was to complement it, but after a lot of surfing, I think I might grab up a small CNC bridgeport as the Maho Battle plays out. I am going to need milling support for my turned parts, and manual milling is going to soak up too much time.
But I am searching for information wherever I can get it. Blast away and tell me anything you have, good or bad.
I thank you all.
Mark

Last edited:
I think it is factory paint. But I scrutinized the appearance of the control console, and wonder if it was sat out in the rain.
Yeah, I may have just committed hari-kari, but... I saw the same base values. I think it is low hours.
And I wonder what it eats. 380? I will probably wind up transforming.
I am positive I can make dollars out of this. Uncertain the investment.

I really think I need to toss the controls. This could be a bit bloody, but if you have any information on them, and they even wake up...
I could use some help. You own Philips 6600 dead? Do you have paperwork?
Thanks,
Mark

Well good luck with your purchase, yes the things you want to use it for is one of the main reasons why this pattern of machine is very desireable for a small job shop. I do hope all works out well for you and like others here I would love to see good quality photos of it once you get it inside.

Charles

Back