What's new
What's new

Maho MH 600 E - Z axis value

Morderesh

Plastic
Hello,

Company got an old milling machine - Maho MH 600 E and we are trying to get it up and running.
Everything works, did couple of test programs, but it seems that Z axis value changes between the programs, even though both programs have G54 and T8. Between the two programs there is about 100 mm difference in Z value.

We had to manually move the tool changer because it got stuck between a middle position and machine showed INT and error (tool changer not in position). We got the tool changer to move to end position by hand and errors went away.

One program was done before the tool changer got stuck and other after. Could the z axis value difference come from moving the tool changer by hand?

Any advice?

EDIT: software is CNC 532

Ok, i might be doing something wrong when i set the G54 zero point value. Do i have to have certain tool active or some other G code active while setting G54 value?

And tool changer shouldn't affect the table coordinates, right?

I tried to use other zero point offsets, used G57, moved the tool to stock top and looked at the value and wrote it in the zero offset value table under G57 and it still isn't correct, when i ran a test program that used G57.

Hi mate,
I had some trouble like that when I first started out working with my Maho, it has a CNC432 control but I will assume that the same
principle works with the 532 too. I will walk you thru all thing similar that happened to me.

First off, when you find your zero point, and enter it to G54, or any other zero point offset (G54-G59) you need to cancel out G52 with G51 before starting the program, I would normally do that in manual mode, but you can just add a line of Gcode in your program too. This is because the control adds any value of G54-G59 to the G52 value when you call your zero point.

Second, when you are finding the zero point of the stock, lets say with a Haimer 3D taster, you need to compensate for its length in your tool table, because the control wants to know the distance to the tip of the spindle, not the tip if the tool. For example, when you set your Haimer in the spindle, and lets say it is T1 in your tool table, you need to enter the length of the tool (for my Haimer it is 139.2mm I think) and when you zero the Z value, and take the Haimer out with M6 T0,the control will substract the length of the tool so when you call G54 G0 X0 Y0 Z0 the spindle will crush in your stock. So, you need to fill your tool table with tool lengths, and then find the zero point. So, the answer to your question if you need to have an active tool when finding zero points is yes, and you need to set the length accordingly.

Third, check your coordinate system in CAM, one time I worked on a job for a few days, and changed the CAM a lot of times, so my coordinate system was upside down, everything was zeroed out good, but my machine started cutting air above the stock, on Z0+stock height.

Please be careful when trying this things out, you can easy crush your spindle into your stock, so set a low feed override and keep your hand on estop.

Hope you get my point, my explaining in english is not so good, but I hope this helps you.

Thanks for replying,

I have tool lengths in table so i'm good in that front, but cancelling out G52 is something i haven't tried. But if i restart the machine and then take zero point value, then i don't have to use G51 to cancel out G52?

Again thanks for replying.

I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I remember I would need to do that everytime I start my machine, and start a new program (same goes for restarting the same program). Because the machine, when started, automatically goes into G52, and after an M30. Try it out, you have nothing to lose, I did't work on my Maho for some time so I'm not completely sure of these stuff.

Hey,

Yeah, it was my fault. The tool wasn't active when i did the zero point measuring. Now i go to MDI, activate the tool before i set zero point and it works.

Thanks for replying.

Back