What's new
What's new

Maho MH600E Electrical Problems

Davey Boy

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I posted last fall that I had bought a MH600E. Well, finally I am getting around to getting it running (I hope!!)

It had sat for so long that the machine constants were lost, but luckily it came with a floppy with the parameters on it. The disk was trashed, but that's a whole other story. So I got it loaded up only to discover that the previous owner had some Z axis scale problems, pried open the cover and broke the glass scale. Heidenhain wants $1800 for a replacement, so the whole works is on hold now.

On top of that, when I got the machine started, the X axis starts to reference and I realize that the E-stop circuit has been rewired and the big red mushroom button doesn't work anymore. The machine came with several manuals, but nothing with any electrical schematics. Does anyone know where I would find the e-stop portion of a "typical" MH600E wiring diagram?

The machine serial number is 63609 and there is a Schaltplan number E-5448 on the electrical cabinet door. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Davey Boy.

MH600E.jpg

Not a bod looking machine form what i can see of it.
Sorry no help on your electrical...wondering how you know the e-stop is different without the prints? Perhaps the switch is just stuck closed or????

Word of caution: New Heidenhain scales are very likely different from what that machine uses....they may not interchange. Do your home work before you buy anything.
Would contact "Maho doctor" for possible prints and info on the scales.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross.

When the e-stop didn't work, I traced the wires in the electrical cabinet. One of the original wires is disconnected and there is a jumper in there that isn't standard issue.

Part of the reason the HH scale is so expensive is they no longer make the LS403 and need to adapt a newer model to the electronics. I really don't want to spend that kind of dough without a better feel for how the machine works. The rest of it seems to be in good shape.

Davey Boy

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
You're not going to like this...but... either part that one out or buy another MH600e for spare parts. Or buy another one and use this one for spare parts. Don't know how it is in Canada, but here, if in right place at right time you can buy a whole 'nuther 600e for the price of one scale.

There are a few of these around and they do sell for not much more than the price of the scale. I guess a look around is in order.
Yeah, even if running ok, everyone with an older Maho CNC needs a twin parts machine. And even if the needed part for that particular axis is not working on the parts machine, there are usually duplicates on the parts machine (X, Z and 4th axis servos are identical, Heidenhain scales for Y and Z are the same on 600e, all three scale reader heads are probably identical, etc)

Did you get the schematics? I'm the not-so-proud owner of a 600E. Let me know if I can help. Don't know if I am allowed to post my email or cell. Anyway, you are welcome to both, hjw

Hello Herman,
I didn't have any luck getting schematics. I started going over the machine with a fine tooth comb and and two of the axis motors (Y&Z) aren't in good shape. In fact the Y axis was very hard to turn and when I opened it up the insulation from the windings was melted onto the core in some spots. Obviously it had suffered a meltdown at some point. Rather than starting a likely endless and expensive search for old parts of questionable quality, I decided to keep the metal and replace the entire electrical control system.
Currently I have it wired so I can use it as a conventional mill, with digital readouts and hand cranks on the 3 axis. I built a manual console to control the hydraulic toolchanger, spindle and coolant, which lets me use it for now for simple jobs.
The CPU is still in the electrical cabinet and I am going to pull it and any other useable electrical parts and list them on eBay when I get some time to spend on it.
How is your machine working?

David

I am currently having a problem referencing. I have a spare 700, but the motors are larger than yours. I would be very interested in any parts from yours that you don't need. Also, I have a lot of hh scales that I have saved from scrap machines, poor odds that there would be a match, i just don't throw anything away cell2172515541hjw

Basically any of the control system hardware... connection board (inside the door with the relays), CPU with the cards, console screen and keyboard, a couple miles of wire, etc. will be not required. If you are interested in any of that stuff, send me a PM and make me an offer. I think the X axis motor is in good shape.
I am going to use an alternative to hh scales on the new setup... so I guess I have a couple of those too. The Z axis scale was ruined by the previous owner who tried to peel open the cover and broke the glass.

Basically any of the control system hardware... connection board (inside the door with the relays), CPU with the cards, console screen and keyboard, a couple miles of wire, etc. will be not required. If you are interested in any of that stuff, send me a PM and make me an offer. I think the X axis motor is in good shape.
I am going to use an alternative to hh scales on the new setup... so I guess I have a couple of those too. The Z axis scale was ruined by the previous owner who tried to peel open the cover and broke the glass.

PM? Sorry, new to this forum stuff. Did Your machne have the Indramat 3TRM2 for X,Y,Z control?

Hey, no problem. PM=personal message... if you click on "Davey Boy" at the top of this post, you have the option to send a personal message.
Yes, my Maho has the 3TRM2. I had contemplated keeping it, but then I would need other interface boards to connect it to a new controller interface, so I guess it's up for grabs too.

If I can get reliable info that the 3trm2 is my problem, I would definitely need to pursue it. Have You started tearing Yours down yet? Does Yours have the turntable (B) axis?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Maho control system to help you with the referencing issue.

So far I have only removed the console and its arm from the machine. No extra axis on this one.

Here are a couple of pics from inside the cabinet...

5.jpg6.jpg2.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Maho control system to help you with the referencing issue.

So far I have only removed the console and its arm from the machine. No extra axis on this one.

Here are a couple of pics from inside the cabinet...

View attachment 59968View attachment 59969View attachment 59970

The cabinet looks a lot like mine. Do you still have the arm and console? Was the monitor still working? Would have some interest in them, in case mine later dies, Thanks, and please keep in touch as You take other things off of this machine. I am just checking this thread from time-to-time. hjw

Hey Herman,
I still have all the parts. The console has some bruises on the outer corners of the cabinet, but the color monitor was working fine when it was removed. The keyboard had a couple of buttons that didn't want to snap back when they were pushed, so I swapped their disks with some from the extra axis control locations.
You can subscribe to the thread and you will get an email when something new happens.

hi Davey boy im interested in the console screen and connection board and the card container box my cell number 0794159674 from South Africa Cape Town

munich

im interested in the screen, monitor board and cards my cell is 0794159674 south africa cape town

Back