What's new
What's new

MH600E CNC questions

Marx911

Plastic
Just looking for some information about this machine. I have an option to purchace one of these for $1500.00 it was taken in on trade to a local machine rebuilder(who is a friend) and it was said to be running when it was taken in. Its perfect for the size I need (600mmx400mmx400mm) and it is both a horz and vert mill a quick search has shown these pics I figure the machine is if nothing else a good starting place for my project some linkis to pictures:

http://www.buyused.com/q/showdlist/...dbsearch,GGGWZK

http://www2.eamtm.net/pics/Annonces/1-134-87.jpg

http://uen.hsix.com/machpict/002015/5198.jpg

any info or thoughts would be welcome The machine has all the service books also...
Thanks in advance
Mark

Konrad:

well I guess I would like to know what you think of the machine? I have heard they are tough and accurate how are parts? hard to find expensive? the book says "number of simultaneous controlled axis=2 , number of consecutively controlled axis=3 " so I gather you can do 2 axis but not 3 axis profiling.

this will be for me at the house I build harleys for fun and hate paying the money people want for some of the parts... I have a 16x60 lathe and a Bridgport clone with low hrs but hate not being able to make complex parts that a CNC makes so easy my thoughts were that even if the control was outdated and non functioning I could put a PC based control on it as the basic hardware was already in place

even if the control was outdated and non functioning I could put a PC based control on it as the basic hardware was already in place
I won't go into the details as this sort of thing has been hashed over adinfinitum already, much on this forum (do a search) but the bottom line is you figure wrong...it's much more complicated than it seems to retrofit a PC based control to a machine as complex as a Maho or Deckel, and the expense cannot be justified versus simply paying more for a machine that doesn't need upgrading in the first place.

But the good news is the Phillips 432 control is just fine as it is, and seems to have decent support. $1,500 is insanely cheap for that late model of Maho**, so unless it has worn iron issues*, buy it ! Heck, I'll give ya $2,500 for it and I need another one like I need a really large hole in my head

*There should be a mechanical hour meter on the back....how many hours on it ?

**Having said that, are you sure it looks ~exactly~ like the ones in the photos ? I mention that because I believe there was an earlier verison of the Maho 600e that would be worth much less. The older style machine would look something like this one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3848145859&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Also, if it's quite dirty, dinged table, etc that would effect value immensely also

Marx: Take heed from Herr Thomas. A retro fit is more work than you might guess, but the machine is well worth the cost unless the iron is pure junk. Parts will be very expensieve and control electronics expensieve as well....but at the price you can afford to buy some control cards even at $3000 plus each! Good news is that the machines are very sturdy, and the controls i understand are pretty good as well. Good luck
If you are close to the left coast and want to sell this little beast let me know.
Cheers Ross

Marx,
I'm very happy with the machine and yes, they are accurate, I can move, jog .0001 and she moves .0001"
I do mostly tool & die stuff, like punches, dies & rubber molds.[nothing yet I couldn't do] The 432 control has some nice caned cycles, like hole drilling, any number of holes in a circles, boring, slotmilling and circle milling, where you can program your tool in the tool memory for tool offsets, and I think it can handle up to 100 tools.
It's a machine, more than you ever need in a homeshop! but I have to say, it has a long learning curve, if you have no CNC knowledge.
Also the axes are different then other CNC. Main XY axes on maho are XZ, and tool axes is Y
It's not a production CNC Mill, strictly a tool room mill.
Konrad

D. Thomas : The machine looks just like this photo http://uen.hsix.com/machpict/002015/5198.jpg it except I don't rember the, what looks like the quill handle, has no 4th axis it also has a complete enclosed system of windowed doors like a small machining center

I'm a CNC tech by trade work at a large machine shop (650,000 sq ft shop) but this is a baby compared to what we have it would fit on the table of most of the equipment I'm used to working on

Just not familiar with this machine

edit: it looks just like the 3rd photo in my orig post ( for some reason shows as a dead link in this post)

"$1,500 is insanely cheap for that late model of Maho"

in good working order what is a price range for this type of machine? just a ball park

If it looks that good, less than 10,000 hours, excellent mechanical/accuracy it "should" be worth as much as $18,000 from a dealer that can demonstrate everything is "right" with the machine. eBay price way less of course, since potential buyers are dealing with "gotta buy it NOW" situation plus increased risk of problems.. probably $7,500 depending on quality of photos and ad copy.

The 700C I referenced can't get even $4,000 (after numerous attempts by the seller) because it is the older style of CNC Maho, has over 30,000 hours and terrible photos and description.
In reality it might be a great machine with nothing wrong with it, but due to doofus seller, who knows ?

So stop agonizing over a pidley 1,500 bucks and just buy the damn thing ! ;)

Marx, set up a private bidding war between Bob and Ross, put the cash in the bank and sit back and wait for the next incredible deal to fall in your lap ! :D

I vote for Ross! :D Not because I have a thing against you Bob, but I figure Ross will have an FP2 that will need a new home! I could cart it to my house in a weekend.... Heck, now I even have the Phase Perfect to power the darned thing!

On a more serious note... There appears to be something wrong with those photos... Where is the double wide fridge electrical box?

--Alan

There appears to be something wrong with those photos... Where is the double wide fridge electrical box?
I think it's still there, just not as noticable due to camera angle and the fact that the 600e is physically larger than the 500e2, and yet the electical cabinets are probably the same size on each.

These deals always remind me of the time a guy I know found a really nice well tooled late model 13"SB. He shopped around, the general opinion was that the machine was worth $3500 (this was quite awhile back)but the source was a big secret. He never got the machine and it subsequently turned out he bid $600 at the university tender sale. Unrealistic but unwilling to share
Bob

Back