What's new
What's new

Mori MV40-M Spindle Encoder Issue

Yates Precision

Plastic
I have a '93 MV40-M that won't orient with M19 (And therefore will not change tools). When M19 is keyed in, the spindle turns and "hunts" for a seemingly unlimited amount of time. I purchased this machine recently and I knew of the problem. However, this machine was purchased from my full-time employer 2 years ago, was put under power but never cut a chip, and then was sold to me. I know that the machine was in perfect running condition with no issues when it left my employer.

Everything else functions fine, and I've been running it for about a month now just doing manual tool changes. The other night, after running it for a few hours, I actually got it to orient three times in a row before it went back to its normal, hunting self. I've taken the covers off and cleaned the ring on the spindle itself, but never removed the encoder and cleaned it. This machine uses a magnetic ring versus the standard "toothed" ring.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

does your spindle have a shot pin for orientation? If yes, check to be sure it's working. Could be a bad solenoid.

Back