What's new
What's new

Mori-Seiki SH-503 Mapps i (Fanuc 16i-ma backend) Comms settings need some decoding.

llf264

Cast Iron
Hi guys. I am having some difficulty figuring out what some of these settings mean.
20190407_155010.jpg
I understand that the fanuc/mapps system has a parameter channel setting of 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 where 4 directs the cnc to read/write backend memory from/to the memory card and 3 directs the cnc to read/write via rs232C.

But even after setting that to 3, there is a port 1 and port 2 option. Are those two different physical connectors? The only rs232c port I can find anywhere is right smack in front of the operators panel.

Also, can anyone help me understand xon/xoff vs rts/cts as the rts one never shows up on any of the terminal (dnc interfaces, hyperterminal etc...) interfaces yet there are usually a "hardware" or "software" handshake option. Do some of the options on the screenshot attached indicate if some of those settings are hardware or software handshake applicable?

How can I tell if my code has a cr symbol and a line feed if all I ever see if the text on the next line?

What the heck is cs off and cs on? None of my manuals describe anything on this screen. My manualz don't even make mention of the "remote" option at the top.only one machine has this remote option amd the other ones dont. The screens are identical other than that. What does this remote function do? I hope Indon't require that to be able to drip feed. So far I cannot drip feed from the memory card. But I can read and write to it. Next task is to read and write from a computer via rs232.

Model wait?

Null out = 0. What are those two?

The stuff on the right I have seen as variables in a dnc setup before either.

And lastly eia iso ascii.... I only ever see UTM8 or something like that as an option on Hyperterminal. Anyone know the ins and outs of these settings?

Thanks for the help guys!!

I'm using a data server on mine, so it's set to 4.
Do you want to learn all about rs232 or just want to send programs? If you want to send programs Shop Floor automation can hook you up with excellent support

Hi Larron,

I wrote this procedure about 15 years ago for a guy I worked with who struggled uploading and downloading programs with hyperterminal with Fanuc controls. The main problem he had was how he saved the program after downloading it, some of what you are talking about, insert line breaks and LF etc. I thought it might help. Not sure about the com ports, but I wrote something on that too. I always used I/O channel 1 for RS232. Maybe this will help, maybe not, but good luck.

Daryl

1- Open Hyperterminal from desktop
2- Make sure you are connected, if not click on the phone icon to connect.
3- Verify that these settings are current. HYPERTERMINAL PARITY STOP BITS 4800 7 EVEN 1
4- Hook up cable from machine to computer. (COM4 which is lower USB port)
5- Punch any program to verify that the cable and parameters are ok. (you should see communication from the machine to the screen. If not make sure that the I/O channel is set to 1. (1 is for using the computer and 4 is for using the flash card)
6- To download programs click on “transfer” then click on “capture text” in drop down menu.
7- A box will open and this is where you select where to save the file to what you are going to call the program. By clicking in the box you can change the program number. Example: C:\Documents\Settings\*****.***\Desktop\O0002.TXT If you delete this line by accident, which you usually do, click on “browse” and save to the desktop using the part program number.
8- When you are ready click on “start”. (the computer is ready waiting on machine)
9- Go to machine and turn edit on, go to program, hit “operator” right arrow, “punch” and “execute”. (this will save the program to the desktop)
10- After downloading is complete click on “transfer” then “capture text” then “Stop” to end capturing text. If you don’t do this all of the programs will download under one program name.
11- To send a text file click on “transfer” then “send text file”.
12- A box will open and this is where you search for the program to be uploaded. Click on the green up-arrow until you find the correct program which is usually on the desktop. DO NOT OPEN YET! The machine must be ready first to upload.
13- Turn “edit” on, go to program screen, hit “operator” right arrow, and click “read”.
14- Now double click on program you want to send. You can also click once on the program then click on “open”. The program will go into the machine.
15- When a program is downloaded it will have extra characters at the beginning and end. These need to be removed if you edit a program or you will get a buffer over-flow alarm.
16- To open a program, right click on the program and open it with “Microsoft office word”. A file conversion box will open and select “windows(default)” then “ok”.
17- When saving the program after editing, click on “file” then “save as”.
18- A box will open with a choice of “where” to save and also there will be a box to name the program. (I usually save them to the desktop) Click “save”.
19- A file conversion box will open. Check box for “Insert line breaks”
20- There will be a drop down box next to “End lines with” and you need to open the dropdown and click on “LF only”(line feed). Click ok and the program is saved properly.

Back