What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-25Y for first cnc lathe

meowkat

Aluminum
Just so happens I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a late 90s Mori Seiki SL-25SY. Any thoughts on the machine? Would you rather have it over say, a bigger more powerful old 2-axis lathe or something? Control is MSC-516, I would need to drip feed programs to it constantly, I think.

If anyone knows:
-How is the control?
-Is drip feeding a standard option?
-What is the availability of spare parts?
-I've heard the live tools have low RPM like 2k rpm, is that right?
-Is this a good machine for a job shop that sees all kinds of crazy mill-turn/5-axis parts and can only accommodate a small fraction of them?
-Is the minimum RPM being 500 and max 3500 a big deal?

I have one of these and really like it. It has the Y axis completely independant. A lot of Y axis lathes use a wedge design and make a move in X that you do not really see, this one does not. In a machine that is a wedge design the Y travel will decrease in upper an lower X positions.

-How is the control? Seems fine, normal Fanuc on mine, but it is a MF-6 or something
-Is drip feeding a standard option? Have not had to do this.
-What is the availability of spare parts? Have not had any issues in 1-1/2 years
-I've heard the live tools have low RPM like 2k rpm, is that right? Yes
-Is this a good machine for a job shop that sees all kinds of crazy mill-turn/5-axis parts and can only accommodate a small fraction of them? Depends on the creativity of the set-up/programmer
-Is the minimum RPM being 500 and max 3500 a big deal? Depends on type and size of material, but not typically.

Overall a pretty nice box way machine, but from the 90's, so greatly depends on how it has been treated for the last 20 years.

If you're a job shop programming lots of one-offs at the machine I think I would consider a Mazak instead. The programming is faster and you can get spare parts for mazaks back to the 80s.

If you're a job shop programming lots of one-offs at the machine I think I would consider a Mazak instead. The programming is faster and you can get spare parts for mazaks back to the 80s.

Oh is spare parts going to be a concern?

Oh is spare parts going to be a concern?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

Of course spare parts is a concern! If I drop a board on my SL-2B, I may very well have to scrap the machine. Same with many key mechanical bits and bobs. Some can be remanufactured, but others might be practically impossible to replace.

Hard to know what you could get from Mori Seiki. 20 YO machine of course is easier than my 40 YO machine, but still ...

Regards.

Mike

Pretty sure I have an almost new SL25 maintenance manual sitting on my bookshelf. PM me if you are interested. Dan

Well still worrying about getting it moved here, but it is pretty close to being officially mine. Guy sent me a .TAP file that is supposed to be the list of parameters for it, any idea what to do with it?

Back