What's new
What's new

Mori- Seiki SL-2B Z-axis limit switch -- where is it?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hello,

I overtraveled my Mori Seiki SL-2B which is usually not a big deal, just jog off of the switch and clear the alarm. But today I'm unable to clear the alarm even after moving the Z-axis way off of the switch. I fear the limit switch might be stuck.

Anybody know where the switch is, before I tear apart stuff that doesn't need to be removed?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

I have a SL35 and a SL45. Newer machines, but as far as I know the Z limit switch is on the back part of the casting of the cross slide. I have to remove a sheet metal guard, and the switch is pretty much in plain sight on mine.

I’ve had a limit switch from a Kitamura VMC that also stuck the way you are describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update ...

Found the switch. It's a roller switch mounted on the underside of the back of the cross slide casting, about 2" from the left edge of the cross slide (looking from the console). You have to remove the rear sliding panel to get to it. It's not visible -- I would have to remove the electrical cabinet and then the rear sheet metal to access it. I'm only able to reach in and manipulate it. The roller arm seems to move OK, I can feel the switch making and breaking contact.

Stuck relay on the Z-axis drive? Switch physically moves but isn't actually switching?

Regards.

Mike

Mike- those are pretty easy to get to if I remember correctly. From the back of the machine but forward of the track that the liquid tight conduit for the x axis runs back and forth on is a Sheetmetal cover. I will try to get some pictures, but I recall that removing that cover is not that much work and the switches are pretty accessable once you do that. Have you looked at the I/O bit for the switch to see if its changing when you activate the switch?

Thanks Dan! The service tech came over today and took that cover off, exposing not 1, but 3 limit switches. One for toward-the-spindle limit, one for away-from-the-spindle limit, and a third for homing. He replaced the sticking switch and I'm back in business.

The hardest part was access -- very little room for wrenching bolts off. I think he ended up unbolting part of the rear enclosure to get some wiggle room.

Regards.

Mike

great- yes lots of stuff stashed back there, but access from the back side is sooo much easier than it would be from the front. Of course the picture in the Mori manual is not very clear about getting in there.. Just FYI, the X axis ones are on the right side of the x axis slides- gotta pull the cover off, but its pretty easy thru the end door.

Back