What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-3 Lathe/Fanuc 11TE not going home

Draggin

Plastic
Hello all,

I've been helping out a friend with a SL-3 Lathe and everything works, no alarms but the X axis Cross Sled won't go home. To be clear I can move X up and down but it never takes over and goes home like it used to.

The other axis can be homed and the turret is working properly as well. What should I look at?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I'd start with the basics. Check the micro switches and alignment of the switches. If it worked before might just be a sticky switch. I left a creeper behind my machine with the guards off and caused a pinch point that knocked my micro switch alignment off. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies!
To get to the switches I would have to take the machine apart. I'm thinking of doing that as a last resort. I would think that the machine and servos wouldn't let me move them if the switches are bad? And I don't know which bit is the home switch.
It appears that I'm getting a PS181 Zero Return Not Finished error. I've changed 1815 and it didn't help. I'm going to look at the grid shift next 1850.

Any other thoughts? Thanks guys!!

Update...

Found out the bit 064 is not changing in diagnostics when trying to home X. It is stuck on 1.
The diagnostics for Z changes bit when homing. Now I need to figure out how to change/check the bit for X.
Any advice on how to do it through the 11TE?

The Z switches are easy to access from the rear of the machine, but the X are a little more trouble- look at the covers on the x axis from the back of the machine where the x servo is for access- I'll peek at my SL-2 as they are almost the same machine. Can't help on the bit # as my control is an earlier model.

Thanks Dan!
I'm about to look for the X switches. I figured out the ladder and the bit on the panel. The switch isn't changing. I suspect a bad switch or cable since I found rat droppings around the machine. I'll start looking from the back where the servo is. I appreciate your thoughts!
And any other tips for getting to the X switches. I was thinking I would have to disassemble a lot to get to it...

Thanks Dan!
I'm about to look for the X switches. I figured out the ladder and the bit on the panel. The switch isn't changing. I suspect a bad switch or cable since I found rat droppings around the machine. I'll start looking from the back where the servo is. I appreciate your thoughts!
And any other tips for getting to the X switches. I was thinking I would have to disassemble a lot to get to it...

Have you found a solution to the problem? I have the same Alarm on my Fanuc 11m: PS181 ZERO RETURN NOT FINISHED. in my case I can't move the X axis at All

Probably a stuck home switch. IF the machine is an SL series Mori, the X home switches are behind a sheetmetal covers on the right side of the turret down near the saddle/bed. You have to pull these from inside the machine enclosure. If its an SL3, open the end door (not the right side door on the front)by the tailstock and lean in thru the door. About 15 minutes work to pull them at the most. The switches get gummed up from coolant and junk, a little cleaner and moving them manually usually solves the issue. IF you can't move the slide, try pushing and holding the the axis override button, reenergize the servos and jog the axis off the switch.

Back