What's new
What's new

MSG-502 Tool life and registry system navigation 0151 Tool Group error

llf264

Cast Iron
Anyone out there an expert on navigating this tool management system? I am getting an error just trying to call a magazine pot.

System is not very intuitive. Fanuc backend on Mori MSG-502 control face. HMC SH-503/40

Thanks
LLF264

Last edited:
I have used Tool Life Management on a number of Mori Mills. Send a pic of your tool life management screen and your NC code and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

I have compiled a picture pages of sorts for navigating the basics of the Tool Life Mgt system in the MSG-502 overlay over the Fanuc control.

If anyone has any input or edits, that would be good to incorporate.

IT also shows where I am having trouble figuring out the tool change cycle to get it unstuck and make sure that I understand the logic.

1-DefineToolsinControl.JPG2-populate tool reg.JPG3-SU Tool groups and add life.jpg4-Test toolchange.JPG5-Investigate Alarm.JPG

Will add the last few screenshots in the next post.

Then the investigation of Sub-Arm not Spindle side, when it is.....
6-Investigate sub-arm status.JPG7-change subarm and retest - Copy.JPG

I have moved the sub arm to SPINDLE SIDE DOWN and also to SPINDLE SIDE UP, and called T1; when the tool registry shows: Tool in spindle, and 0 ("No next tool") in the NEXT tool slot.

I believe that the empty pot should be on the spindle side and down for a Tx; (where "x" is the next tool number) call to work.

Anyone know of a procedure to rest this thing and get the tool-changer system synced up and working again?

Best Regards,
LLF264

Ignore the CAPS screen, it only relates to the on-machine programming function not the actual tool changing.

Let's start with the registry screen. You must set the SP. and WAIT values to match what is physically present in the machine. If SP.=1 then tool 1 should be in the spindle. If WAIT=100, tool 100 should be in the wait pot and the pot should be oriented in the position it needs for tool change (i.e. pointing the same direction as the spindle tool). Whatever values you have in SP. and WAIT will show up on the Modal or Position displays as Current Tool and Next Tool. Unless you are using a probe, the SENS values should both be set to none. if WAIT=NONE then the wait pot should be at the tool changer side and empty.

Tool Life management is a whole other animal. Once you define a tool group, you then call that group as a 4-digit tool number. Tool group 1 is called as T1001. Tool group 5 is T1005 etc. The redundant tool does not show up in the next tool display as it usually is not the next tool that was called int he program. When the tool life of the current tool expires, the machine will not stop mid-cycle and get the next tool in the group and keep on going. The next tool is only used then next time the tool group is called in the program.

Thanks JonFinn. I believe that I have the machine set in this example as you state, as evidenced by the pics attached.
1.) SP. = 100
2.) Wait = 0
Therefore, an empty pot should be on the spindle side and down correct?
Then MDI T1 should cause the pot to be pit back in the magazine then T1 should index and that pot with it's tool should get pulled to spindle side down by the sub arm right?

So the machine is 100% operational again except for only one tool seems to believe that it is part of a tool group. Obviously, I am missing something obvious.

Does anyone have a tool group example of different tools that they can share?

Or does anyone know of a parameter that I can set to ignore this whole tool group and tool life drama?

Back