What's new
What's new

Need help with CELOS on Dmg NLX

byazici

Plastic
Hey,

I am new to the CELOS system on top of the Mitsubishi M730UM control that came with the NLX on our lathe. I have a question about the tooling system and would be great if someone could explain it to me like explaining it to a 5 year old. The manual is not helping in this issue.

The problem is with the tooling system. I don’t understand the "Tool Group” function, what it does and why is it used instead of just defining tools under the "All Tools" section. The “Tool Model", as far as I understand is used for interference checking (if there is any other use to it would love to know) but, really can’t understand the how the tool registration in different sections work and why there are different sections for tool registration and why I have to define offsets in certain ways or they are not recognized etc. etc. Would love a short tutorial on this.

Thank you for the help.

Tools are defined as 8 digits. First 4 are Serial no. next 4 are group no. So if you have a tool 00010001, it means Serial no is 1 group no is 1. similarly you can have 00020002 etc. So now whats the use of this. One major use if for sister tools. you can define the life of a tool as no. of minutes or number of parts. So after certain no. of parts next tool will come automatically without change in program.
group no. is same as normal tool name like T1 or T2 etc. This is what you call in a program. G54G0T1 etc.
Serial No. is the serial no. of same tool. IF you have 3 roughing tools(sister tools) they will be named as T00010001, T00020001,T00030001. Suppose you set a life of 10 parts for them.
Your call in program is always G0T1. For initial 10 parts T00010001 will be cutting. Part no. 11-20 Tool T00020001 will be cutting. And next 10 parts T00030001 will be cutting without a change in program. There will be other benefits like Tagging of tools(electronic tagging etc)ID etc.

This is called Tool management system.
Hope it helps.

Hi!

Thanks for the info rajiv. Are there any other uses for this group numbering other than sister tools? For example, how do I define left and right tools on the same station? Thanks.

Hi!

Thanks for the info rajiv. Are there any other uses for this group numbering other than sister tools? For example, how do I define left and right tools on the same station? Thanks.

For changing from M3 to M4 or reverse, its normal practice to change in program, or in the CAPS programming on the CELOS panel at the tools page. If you have a problem then you try to search for the solution, I did not have any requirement to find uses for group other than sister tools so far.
If you want to change from M3 to M4 using the tool group then you have to unload tool from magazine using program I.e. g code then load again using g code( with reverse rotation). What you are saying is possible but still it’s more easier to write M3/M4.
Anyway thanks for the idea.

Back