What's new
What's new

New DMG CTX Beta / Gamma 1250

micmeadow

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for infos about the machines in the title.

We are planning to upgrade our factory with a multitasking machine and were looking to the Beta/Gamma 1250.

We are definitely sure about getting a machine with a milling spindle and a lower turning turret. We are in a production environment of small to medium volume (from 30 to 3000 pieces) and the flexibility of the machine is a must. We need to use a tailstock mounted on the turret sometimes, as well as working on both spindles contemporary.

Even if we have had okuma and still are totally happy with those lathes, the cost of a Multus U3000 is unfortunately too high for what we can afford. We need a Multitasking machine with 2 turning spindles (main+sub) ASA8/ASA6, a 20bar coolant pump, linear scales on all axis, skiving module, 12/15000 rpm milling spindle and very rigid and solid roller guides due to interrupted cut on 90% of the pieces (this is mostly for turning). Working mostly 18NiCrMo5 to 42CrMn

So, if any CTX user could give me a feedback about his machine, and about how rigid and precise (repeatability focused) it is that'd be very helpful.

I know here in the forum there are a lot of great machinists and multitasking operators so wish you could help!

Thanks a lot to anyone who's going to help!

M.

Inviato dal mio Mi MIX 2S utilizzando Tapatalk

The CTX is a great machine. Very ridged and precise. I run a CTX Gamma 2000tc every day. You might want to get a quote before you go any further because I would guess the CTX will be more than about every other brand of the equivalent size and specifications. If you looking at the used market make sure you properly load and ship the machine per DMG guidelines. The CTX machines are built on a mineral cast bed so special precautions must be taken to prevent a cracked bed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The CTX is a great machine. Very ridged and precise. I run a CTX Gamma 2000tc every day. You might want to get a quote before you go any further because I would guess the CTX will be more than about every other brand of the equivalent size and specifications. If you looking at the used market make sure you properly load and ship the machine per DMG guidelines. The CTX machines are built on a mineral cast bed so special precautions must be taken to prevent a cracked bed.

Thanks a lot. Any experience with interrupted cut? That's what scares me the most.

You will have to explain what kinda of interrupted cut you would like to preform.

You will have to explain what kinda of interrupted cut you would like to preform.

That's pretty simple. Have a look to any 2 stroke motorbikes crankshaft. It has a shape like a hammer, so basically to turn the external diameter the tool will work on a heavy interrupted cut. That's the job we do. Crankshafts for enduro, trial and motocross bike, single cylinder.

Usually material is 18NiCrMo5 (800-1000 N/mm2).

I will attach a picture so maybe it'd be clearer!

bb4dff1fb318604c5eaa58827dd8bf58.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to do a part like that in a CTX.

I think your answer says a lot! Ahahaha!
By the way, thank you for your help.

I think I'm going to ask for a CTX Beta 1250 TC 4A, with 12k rpm on the milling spindle, 2 ASA-J6 turning spindles with 5000rpm and a lower turret with 12 live tools.

Hope the price will not skyrocket to the moon!

Thank you a lot,
M.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a part like that in a CTX.

I've got the offer. For a CTX Beta 1250 they asked for 580k, without continuous 5 axis movements but only positioning.

Then they offered me the NTX 1500, made in Japan, with continuos 5 axis, scales on all axis, high pressure pump, lower turret with 12 live tools ect ect for 450k.

I was pretty shocked because in my mind the NTX should have been way much more expensive.

What are the differences?? They agent told me that basically the NTX is more rigid and more reliable especially for a production environment like our one.

If you could give me your opinion it'd be very very helpful.
Thanks!

M.

NTX 1500? I have only seen a 1000,2000,2500,3000 models. When looking at a Mill Turn platform one of the most important things to consider is the distance between the main spindle and the sub spindle. Use the diagrams from the manufacture to make sure you can fit your part and the milling head between chucks if your going to do any kind of face work. I think the NTX would be a great machine to have and the service and support would also be good since there are way more NTX machines out in the field than CTX. The CTX and NTX are built pretty much the same so I wouldn't say one is more ridged than another. Now the Mori NT series is probably the most ridged Mill turn on the market hands down. They use a box in box concept for the X axis and Z axis that both are driven at the center of gravity so X and Z have 2 ball screws per axis. I'm not surprised the CTX is more our CTX GAMMA 2000TC was right at 1 million new. The only reason we went with the CTX over anything else was that we were very familiar to running DMG DMU 5 axis mills. We really like the Siemens controls and the CTX comes standard with Siemens. To answer your question if the NTX is the right size for your part and you find a good CAM software to drive the machine I wouldn't hesitate to get an NTX. That all being said make sure you get ample training on the machine and how to program it. Might consider varicut or some other machine simulation software to make sure you do not crash the machine.

NTX 1500? I have only seen a 1000,2000,2500,3000 models. When looking at a Mill Turn platform one of the most important things to consider is the distance between the main spindle and the sub spindle. Use the diagrams from the manufacture to make sure you can fit your part and the milling head between chucks if your going to do any kind of face work. I think the NTX would be a great machine to have and the service and support would also be good since there are way more NTX machines out in the field than CTX. The CTX and NTX are built pretty much the same so I wouldn't say one is more ridged than another. Now the Mori NT series is probably the most ridged Mill turn on the market hands down. They use a box in box concept for the X axis and Z axis that both are driven at the center of gravity so X and Z have 2 ball screws per axis. I'm not surprised the CTX is more our CTX GAMMA 2000TC was right at 1 million new. The only reason we went with the CTX over anything else was that we were very familiar to running DMG DMU 5 axis mills. We really like the Siemens controls and the CTX comes standard with Siemens. To answer your question if the NTX is the right size for your part and you find a good CAM software to drive the machine I wouldn't hesitate to get an NTX. That all being said make sure you get ample training on the machine and how to program it. Might consider varicut or some other machine simulation software to make sure you do not crash the machine.
Sorry, NTX 2000! Not 1500, my mistake!

Yes the machine would actually fit my job, and we were thinking about Esprit Cam to manage programming.

Well looks like they gave me a good offer, I'm going ahead because I needed to add some minor changes to the configuration they made. I'm not familiar with Siemens, we run only Okuma and Fanuc control and the NTX comes with a Fanuc 32i so I'm definitely ok with that.

Now that I got this offer, looks like the Okuma vendor wants to try to make a new one to see if they can get to the same price. I will see anyway.

Thanks a lot for all your answers, really
M.

Back