What's new
What's new

Nhx5000 x axis jerkiness. Bad scale? Ball screw?

prl motorsports

Plastic
We just bought a used 2013 nhx5000 from an auction, and got it up and running. I loaded the first program in it to test it out and the motion on the x axis is extremely jerky and watching the load meter it is bouncing around from about 3%-15% while it is traveling. It’s almost like it is stuttering. I did a quick backlash check and the a ball-screw seemed ok, but I haven’t dug into it any further than that. It does have the scale option on this machine so my thought was possibly that the scale is going bad and causing some weird postioniting errors that may cause the axis motion to be so bad. This machine was ran extremely hard out of a factory in Detroit so the ball screw being shot wouldn’t surprise me either.

I figure my first course of action is to disable the scale and test how the machine runs, and then from there look further into the mechanical side on the x axis. If anyone had any ideas I’d love the help.

Thanks
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem several years ago started out thinking a drive or motor.
Pulled the way covers back Disconnected and removed the motor the screw wouldn't spin freely.
Turned out to be the bearings.
If you go this route Check the lube lines also.

In retrospect we took the motor off the screw and under power hand wheeled the motor to check it ran freely first.
IIRC.. Its been a few yrs.

Back